Pepto Bismol: This is a famous medicine used to treat indigestion, nausea, heartburn or an upset stomach and it is also known to be able to help control diarrhoea. This is the liquid form of Pepto-Bismol but it is also available in a convenient chewable tablet form. While it should offer fast relief, speak to your doctor within two days if your symptoms don't improve.
Pepto-Bismol should be avoided by diabetics, people on blood thinning agents and those suffering from gout. It contains a derivative of aspirin and cannot be given to anyone under 16 years old.
This is a well-known medicine used to treat occasional heartburn, nausea and indigestion and can also be used to treat diarrhoea. Pepto-Bismol works by slowing the growth of bacteria that causes stomach problems and it works fast to give you effective relief from indigestion or heartburn.
It is not recommended that you use this medication in conjunction with other medications such as tetracycline antibiotics as it could cause a reaction. You can choose Pepto-Bismol in tablet form as well but this is the liquid version which has a smooth and pleasant taste.
Adults 16 and over:
Swallow 30ml dispensed in the dosing cup.
Repeat the dosage every half to 1 hour as required.
Do not take more than 8 doses in 24 hours.
Take Pepto-Bismol orally only. Before use, shake well.
The active ingredients contained in this medicine is/are:
The medicine also contains the following inactive ingredients to make up the complete product:
Methylcellulose, Purified Water, Aluminium Magnesium Silicate, Sorbic Acid (E200), Methyl Salicylate, Salicylic Acid, Sodium Salicylate, Saccharin Sodium Amaranth (E123) and Benzoic Acid (E210).
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take medication, however if you do they can include:
Dehydration, vomiting, tinnitus, deafness, vertigo, sweating, hyperventilation and increased respiratory rate, warm extremities with bounding pulses. Acid-base disturbance is also present in some degree in most cases.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- Avoid taking more than the recommended dosage.
- Do not use after the indicated expiry date.
- Avoid taking Pepto Bismol if you have known hypersensitivity to aspirin, other salicylates or other ingredients of this product or if you are using aspirin and other salicylates or if aged less than 16 years because of the salicylates association with Reye's syndrome, a very serious rare disease.
- If your symptoms become severe or persist for more than 2 days or if you have diarrhoea accompanied by fever or if you accidentally overdose or if you experience any unexpected or unusual effects, you should discontinue use and consult your doctor.
- Consult your doctor before using Pepto-Bismol if you are taking medication for diabetes, gout or anticoagulants (for blood thinning) or if you are breastfeeding or you are expectant.
- Pepto-Bismol contains benzoic acid, a mild irritant to eyes, skin, and gums.
- It also contains salicylic and sorbic acid likely to cause dermatitis, including amaranth which causes allergic reactions such as asthma.
- Keep out of sight and out of reach of children.
- Pepto-Bismol may cause harmless and short-term darkening of the tongue or stool.
- Store below 25 degrees.
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.