Arlevert tablets contain two active ingredients, cinnarizine and dimenhydrinate, both of which are antihistamine medicines. Arlevert tablets are used to treat symptoms of various types of vertigo.
Vertigo is described as a spinning or swaying sensation whilst standing still. It is commonly caused by a problem with the vestibular apparatus in the middle ear. The vestibular apparatus provides continual feedback to the brain about our body position. When something disturbs it, nerve signals are sent from the vestibular apparatus to the vomiting centre in the brain. This can cause sensations such as nausea, dizziness or spinning sensations (vertigo) and the reflex of vomiting.
This medicine works by blocking histamine and muscarinic receptors in the vomiting centre in the brain. This prevents the vomiting centre from receiving the nerve messages from the vestibular apparatus in the middle ear. In turn, this prevents disturbances in the middle ear from activating the vomiting centre and causing vertigo, nausea and vomiting.
Arlevert tablets are usually taken for a maximum of four weeks.
- This medicine may cause drowsiness. If affected do not drive or operate machinery. Alcohol should be avoided.
- This medicine can upset your stomach: taking it with or after food may help to reduce the indigestion.
- If you are due to have any skin prick tests to diagnose allergies you should stop taking this medicine at least 48 hours before the tests. This is because antihistamines can prevent or lessen the skin reactions that indicate an allergy, and so can make the test results unreliable.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Just because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
Common (affect between 1 in 10 and 1 in 100 people)
- Dry mouth.
- Abdominal pain.
There will be increased drowsiness and sedation if this medicine is taken in combination with any of the following (which can also cause drowsiness):
- antipsychotics, eg haloperidol
- barbiturates, eg phenobarbital, amobarbital
- benzodiazepines, eg diazepam, temazepam
- MAOI antidepressants, eg phenelzine, isocarboxazid or tranylcypromine
- other sedating antihistamines, eg chlorphenamine, hydroxyzine
- sleeping tablets, eg zopiclone
- strong opioid painkillers, eg codeine, dihydrocodeine, morphine
- tricyclic antidepressants, eg amitriptyline.
- People with mild to moderately decreased kidney function.
- People with mild to moderately decreased liver function.
- Parkinson's disease.
- Enlarged prostate gland (prostatic hypertrophy).
- People with a blockage of the area where the stomach joins the intestines (pyloroduodenal obstruction).
- People with high or low blood pressure.
- Severe disease involving the heart and blood vessels (cardiovascular disease).
- Overactive thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism).
- People with raised pressure in the eye, eg open angle glaucoma.
- Rare hereditary blood disorders called porphyrias.
Not to be used in
- People with severely decreased kidney function.
- People with severely decreased liver function.
- Closed angle glaucoma.
- People with increased pressure in the brain (raised intracranial pressure).
- People who are intoxicated with alcohol (acute alcoholism).
- Convulsions, eg epilepsy.
- People with difficulty passing urine (urinary retention), due to prostate problems.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.