Azithromycin is the antibiotic of choice to treat chlamydia. It can be taken as a convenient single dose and clears up most chlamydia infections within 7 days. Chlamydia antibiotic treatment can be bought from the Online Doctor following a simple medical questionnaire and can be delivered quickly and discreetly to a location of your choice.
Azithromycin 500mg tablets (chlamydia antibiotics) are available to buy from The Independent Pharmacy Online Doctor service, following a free consultation, to treat chlamydia in those who have had a positive chlamydia test or have had unprotected sex with someone who has. To find out more about chlamydia and see all the available treatments, see our Online Doctor Chlamydia page.
Azithromycin 500mg Tablets contain the active ingredient Azithromycin. This drug belongs to a category of medicines known as macrolide antibiotics. These antibiotics are used to treat chlamydia and other infections that are caused by bacteria.
Azithromycin 500mg Tablets work to inhibit a bacteria’s ability to produce proteins that are essential to their growth. Without these proteins they will be unable to increase in size or numbers. This mechanism of action will therefore halt the spread of the infection, allowing the body’s natural immune system to kill off any remaining bacteria.
Azithromycin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. It is effective against a wide array of bacteria that are responsible for causing various types of infection. When being taken to treat the sexually-transmitted disease chlamydia; two tablets (2x500mg) are taken together as a single dose. A follow up dose is not usually necessary. A single dose Azithromycin will normally clear up most cases of chlamydia within 7 days. You can take another chlamydia test 14 days after your treatment to ensure the infection has cleared up.
Azithromycin is categorised as a prescription only medicine (POM). It is available as a generic tablet as well as the branded version Zithromax. Azithromycin preparations can also be used to treat many different types of bacterial infections, such as respiratory infections, skin infections, ear infections and sexually-transmitted infections (STI’s), such as Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea.
- Take TWO Azithromycin 500mg tablets as a single dose.
- You should take Azithromycin as soon as possible after a positive chlamydia test by you or one of your sexual partners.
- Azithromycin tablets should be swallowed whole with plenty of water.
- Do not have sex for SEVEN days after treatment.
- Take a chlamydia test again after 14 days to ensure successful treatment.
Each Azithromycin tablet contains the active ingredient azithromycin dihydrate 500mg.
Each tablet also contains: Core: croscarmellose sodium (E468), magnesium stearate (E572), microcrystalline cellulose (E460), silicium dioxide, (E551), poloxamer, povidone (E1201), talc, and waterfree lactose. Coating: hypromellose (E464), hydroxypropylcellulose, macrogol and titanium dioxide (E171).
Like all medicines, Azithromycin can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them.
Side effects can include:
- nausea & diarrhoea
- abdominal pain
If you have any of the following symptoms, you may have a severe allergic reaction to Azithromycin, stop taking it and tell your doctor immediately or go to the casualty department at your nearest hospital.
- Sudden difficulty in breathing, speaking and swallowing.
- Swelling of the lips, tongue, face and neck.
- Extreme dizziness or collapse.
- Severe or itchy skin rash, especially if this shows blistering and there is soreness of the eyes, mouth or genital organs.
The following are serious side effects that occur in a very small minority of patients. If you experience any of the following side effects you should see your GP as soon as possible.
- Diarrhoea that is serious, lasts a long time or has blood in it, with stomach pain or fever. This can be a sign of a serious bowel inflammation. This is something that can rarely happen after taking antibiotics
- Yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes caused by liver problems
- Inflammation of the pancreas, which causes severe pain in the abdomen and back
- Increased or reduced urine output, or traces of blood in your urine
- Skin rash caused by sensitivity to sunlight
- Unusual bruising or bleeding
- Irregular heart beat.
It is not suitable for our Online Doctor to prescribe Azithromycin to treat chlamydia for you if:
- you have severe liver or kidney problems.
- you have severe heart problems or problems with your heart beat such as long QT syndrome (shown on an electro-cardiogram or ECG machine).
- your blood levels of potassium or magnesium are too low.
- you develop signs of another infection.
- you are taking any ergot derivatives such as ergotamine (to treat migraine).
- you have a certain type of muscle weakness called myasthenia gravis.
- you have nervous (neurological) or mental (psychiatric) problems.
If you notice blood in your stool, or suffer with fever, chills, or severe headache your infection may be more serious and you should see a doctor as soon as possible. If symptoms include a thick or bloody discharge from the penis with soreness or inflammation in men or women with heavy offensive vaginal discharge or irregular bleeding and low abdominal pain, you should see your GP as this could indicate a more serious infection.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.