Bricanyl Turbohaler can be purchased from The Independent Pharmacy Online Doctor following an easy, free online health questionnaire. Bricanyl is used for immediate relief of the symtpoms of asthma such as wheezing, coughing and shortness of breath. Buy Bricanyl today for fast delivery of your inhalers without the need to see your GP face-to-face.
Bricanyl Turbohaler contains the active ingredient terbutaline and is used as a reliever in asthma. It is taken when required in response to symptoms of coughing, wheezing and breathlessness. It should help to relieve symptoms within 5 minutes. Bricanyl Turbohaler has the added benefit that it is a breath-actuated inhaler, making it easier to administer the dose. Repeat supplies of Bricanyl Turbohaler are available to buy from The Independent Pharmacy Online Doctor service, following a free consultation, to help to help control asthma in those who have been diagnosed by their GP. To find out more about asthma and see all the available treatments, see our Online Doctor Asthma page.
Bricanyl Turbohaler contains the active ingredient Terbutaline Sulfate. It is used to treat and relieve the symptoms of asthma. It is manufactured in The UK by AstraZeneca and is classified as a prescription-only-medicine (POM).
Conditions such as asthma mean that the airways are tight and restrictive, making it difficult to get air in and out of the lungs. This can cause the sufferer to have trouble breathing. The active ingredient in Bricanyl Turbohaler is Terbutaline Sulfate. Terbutaline Sulfate belongs to a group of medicines called Beta-2 Receptor Agonists. This group of medicines work by stimulating these receptors, causing the muscles in the airways to relax and open. If the airways are open then more air can pass through the lungs, relieving the restriction thus making it easier to breathe.
Terbutaline inhalers, such as Bricanyl Turbohaler are known as ‘relievers’. When Terbutaline is delivered directly to the lungs it quickly works to open the airways and ‘relieve’ the symptoms of asthma attacks, coughing, wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath. Bricanyl is also suitable to be used directly before exercise or exposure to allergens in order to open the airways and help prevent wheezing.
As with any inhaler it is important to learn how to use it correctly. A poor inhaler technique could lead to not administering the appropriate dose. Bricanyl Turbohaler contains Terbutaline Sulfate in a dry powder form, which is ready for inhalation. To prepare a dose you must first turn the blue grip at the base of the inhaler as far as it will go in one direction. Next, turn it as far as it will go in the opposite direction. (It does not matter which direction you initially turn it). Once it has been turned both ways you should then hear a click. This sound means the turbohaler is loaded and ready to go. After breathing out fully, put the mouthpiece to your lips and breathe in deeply and steadily through your mouth. After administering a dose from your Bricanyl Turbohaler, it is important to rinse your mouth out with water. This is because some of the medicine may stick to the inside of your mouth and throat. By rinsing with water you are reducing the risk of side-effects that may come with the unnecessary absorption of this excess medicine.
Pharmacist Tip: Bricanyl Turbohaler is usually taken 1 puff when required, up to four times daily. You should always use your Bricanyl whenever you feel short of breath or wheezy; it should improve your symptoms within a few minutes. You should have a clinical management plan with your GP so that you know exactly what to do in the event of an asthma attack.
- The usual dose is one inhalation as required.
- Do not take more than four inhalations in any 24 hour period.
- One inhalation from your Bricanyl Turbohaler should last for up to six hours.
How to use Bricanyl
- To prepare a dose you must first turn the blue grip at the base of the inhaler as far as it will go in one direction.
- Next, turn it as far as it will go in the opposite direction. (It does not matter which direction you initially turn it).
- Once it has been turned both ways you should then hear a click. This sound means the turbohaler is loaded and ready to go.
- After breathing out fully, put the mouthpiece to your lips and breathe in deeply and steadily through your mouth.
- After administering a dose from your Bricanyl Turbohaler, it is important to rinse your mouth out with water.
For further instructions on the use of Bricanyl inhaler, including diagrams, please see the Patient Information Leaflet enclosed with your inhaler.
Each inhlation of Bricanyl Inhaler contains 0.5mg of Terbutaline Sulfate as the active ingredient. There are no other ingredients.
Like all medicines, Bricanyl Turbohaler can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. Important side effects to look out for:
- Allergic reactions. The signs may include a swollen face, skin rash, breathing problems, low blood pressure (feeling faint) and collapse. It is not known exactly how often this happens. If this happens to you, stop using Bricanyl Turbohaler and see a doctor straight away.
- Sudden wheezing soon after inhaling your dose of Bricanyl Turbohaler. It is not known exactly how often this happens. If this happens to you, stop using Bricanyl Turbohaler and see a doctor straight away.
Other possible side effects:
Very Common (affects more than 1 in 10 people)
- Trembling or shaking.
These side effects are most common with high doses/regular use of Bricanyl.
Common (affects less than 1 in 10 people)
- Pounding or rapid heart beat (palpitations).
- Cramp or feeling tense.
- Low levels of potassium in your blood which may cause muscle weakness, thirst, or ‘pins and needles’.
Do not use Bricanyl Turbohaler if:
- You are allergic (hypersensitive) to terbutaline or any of the other ingredients of Bricanyl Turbohaler.
Check with your doctor or pharmacist before using Bricanyl Turbohaler if:
- You have diabetes. If so, you may need some extra blood sugar tests when you start using Bricanyl Turbohaler.
- You have a history of heart disease, irregular heart rhythm or angina.
- You have an overactive thyroid gland.
If you are not sure if any of the above apply to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before using Bricanyl Turbohaler.
Taking other medicines
Please tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, or have recently taken, any other medicines. This includes medicines that you buy without a prescription and herbal medicines. Bricanyl can affect the way that some medicines work and some medicines can have an effect on Bricanyl.
In particular, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any of the following medicines:
- Steroid medicines (such as prednisolone).
- Medicines called ‘xanthines’ (such as theophylline).
- Medicines called ‘beta-blockers’ (such as atenolol or propranolol) including eye drops (such as timolol).
- Water tablets (diuretics) such as furosemide (also known as frusemide).
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
- Talk to your doctor before using Bricanyl Turbohaler if you are pregnant, might become pregnant or are breast-feeding.
- If you become pregnant while you are using Bricanyl Turbohaler, talk to your doctor straight away.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.