Doxycycline 100mg capsules are an antibiotic treatment available to buy from The Independent Pharmacy Online Doctor to treat chlamydia. Doxycycline is a week long course that will clear most cases of chlamydia, within 7 days of the course being completed. They can be delivered quickly and discreetly following a short online health questionnaire.
Doxycycline 100mg capsules (chlamydia antibiotics) are available to buy from The Independent Pharmacy Online Doctor service, following a free consultation, to treat chlamydia in those who have had a positive chlamydia test or have had unprotected sex with someone who has. To find out more about chlamydia and see all the available treatments, see our Online Doctor Chlamydia page.
Doxycycline is an antibiotic used to treat chlamydia infections. Doxycycline is normally the second choice treatment for chlamydia, behind another antibiotic, Azithromycin. Doxycycline is equally as effective as azithromycin, but whereas azithromycin is a single dose treatment, doxycycline treatment needs to be taken twice daily for 7 days, meaning it can be inconvenient for patients.
Doxycycline is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. It is effective against a wide array of bacteria that are responsible for causing various types of infection. When being taken to treat the sexually-transmitted disease chlamydia; two tablets (2x500mg) are taken together as a single dose. A follow up course is not usually necessary. A 7-day course of Doxycycline will normally clear up most cases of chlamydia within 7 days. You can take another chlamydia test 14 days after your treatment to ensure the infection has cleared up.
Doxycycline is categorised as a prescription only medicine (POM). It is available as a generic tablet as well as the branded version Vibramycin-D. Doxycycline preparations can also be used to treat many different types of bacterial infections, such as respiratory infections, skin infections, ear infections and sexually-transmitted infections (STI’s), such as Chlamydia.
More information about chlamydia treatment:
- Avoid sexual contact whilst taking doxycycline and for 7 days afterwards, until no longer infectious.
- People with a positive chlamydia test and their sexual partners should be treated, at the same time if possible.
- Tests take 6 weeks to go negative after chlamydia has been successfully treated.
- Take ONE capsule TWICE daily for SEVEN days.
- Always ensure you complete the prescribed course.
- You should take Doxycycline with or after food and with a full glass of water.
- Do not have sex for SEVEN days after treatment is complete.
- Take another chlamydia test after 14 days to ensure successful treatment.
Each Doxycline capsule contains 100mg Doxycycline (as hyclate) as the active ingredient.
Each capsules aslo contains: gelatin, magnesium stearate, shellac glaze, sodium lauryl sulphate, starch, E104, E127, E131, E171, E172 & propylene glycol.
Doxycycline 100mg capsules, like all medicines, can cause some side effects. These are usually mild and do not occur in everyone. They can include:
- acid type indigestion (heartburn).
Other side effects from doxycycline are rare.
Doxycycline can cause skin sensitivity to light. This means your skin will burn much more quickly under UV light than normal. Strong sun and sun beds should be avoided whilst doxycycline is being taken. If you do go out in strong sunlight, ensure you cover your skin or wear strong sunblock.
For a full list of side effects and information about taking doxycycline, including interactions with other medication, see the patient information leaflet supplied with your treatment.
You should stop taking your treatment and see your doctor immediately if you experience any of the following symptoms that may indicate an allergic reaction:
- wheeziness or difficulty breathing.
- sudden swellings of the face, lips, throat, tongue, hands or feet.
- fast heart rate.
- low blood pressure.
- rash or itching (especially over the whole body).
- watery diarrhoea.
Do not take Doxycycline and tell your doctor, if you:
- have taken Doxycycline or any other antibiotic before and suffered an allergic reaction (e.g. rash, itching, swelling of the face, fainting and breathing problems)
- are allergic to any of the other ingredients in Doxycycline Capsules
- are pregnant or trying to become pregnant are breast-feeding
You should let your doctor know and ask their advice, if you:
- are likely to be exposed to strong sunlight or ultraviolet light (e.g. on a sunbed).
- have liver problems or are taking medicines which affect your liver.
- have severe kidney problems.
- have myasthenia gravis (a disease which causes unusual tiredness and weakness of certain muscles, particularly in the eyelid, difficulty chewing and swallowing and slurred speech).
- have porphyria (a rare genetic disease of blood pigments).
- have systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) a condition characterised by a rash (especially on the face), hair loss, fever, malaise and joint pain. This condition may be worsened by taking Doxycycline.
Doxycycline should not be taken at the same time as antacids or milk as these can reduce absorption and make your medicine less effective.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.