A week course of Metronidazole 400mg tablets is the first-line treatment for women with uncomplicated Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). When taken twice daily for one week, they can clear up most cases of BV quickly and effectively.
Metronidazole 400mg tablets are a type of antibiotic. Metronidazole can be used to treat a number of different infections however, they can be supplied online by The Independent Pharmacy to treat Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) in women. They are an effective treatment, taken for one week, that normally helps to clear symptoms in two to three days.
Metronidazole is suitable to buy online if you have previously suffered with Bacterial Vaginosis before that has been diagnosed and successfully treated by your GP. If your symptoms are the the same as when previously treated, you should be suitable for self-diagnosis and treatment online. You are also suitable for treatment if you have had a positive test for Bacterial Vaginosis and now require treatment. If you have not suffered with BV before, your symptoms are different or you have had a negative test result, you should see your GP for further investigation.
Bacterial Vaginosis is not a sexually-transmitted disease and normally presents as white or grey vaginal discharge that is thin and watery. It may have a 'fishy' smell that is particularly strong after sex. To find out more about Bacterial Vaginosis, see our Bacterial Vaginosis page.
Metronidazole may alter the effectiveness of your contraceptive pill. Additional precautionary measures may be necessary whilst you are taking Metronidazole.
Take ONE tablet TWICE daily for SEVEN days. Metronidazole should be taken with or after food.
Always ensure that you complete the course, even if you think your symptoms have improved. This will help to prevent the infection coming back.
You should avoid alcohol whilst taking Metronidazole and for at least 48 hours after your course has finished. Alcohol can cause a serious interaction with Metronidazole that results in nausea and vomiting.
The active ingredient in this medicine is metronidazole 400mg.
The other ingredients are: Croscarmellose Sodium, Cellulose, Colloidal Silica, Lactose, Magnesium Stearate, Maize Starch, Polyethylene Glycol, Titanium Dioxide (E171), Hydroxypropylcellulose (E463), Methylhydroxypropylcellulose (E464).
Side effects when taking Metronidazole do not affect everyone, however there is always a chance that any of the effects listed below could occur. Side effects are less likely at lower doses (such as the dose for Bacterial Vaginosis) and when it is taken with or after food.
Side effects of unknown frequency:
- Numbness, tingling, pain, or a feeling of weakness, in the arms or legs
- Unpleasant taste in the mouth
- Furred tongue
- Feeling sick (nausea), being sick (vomiting), upset stomach, or diarrhoea
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling depressed
- Pain in your eyes (optic neuritis)
Rare side effects include:
- Anaphylactic reactions
- Abnormal laboratory test results
- Blood and bone marrow problems - these may be fatal
- Brain and central nervous system problems including neurological problems. Seek medical advice if you have symptoms such as fever, paralysis, photosensitivity, balance or coordination problems, stiff neck, tremors or epileptic seizures
- Double vision
- Eye or eyesight problems
- Feeling dizzy
- Feeling drowsy
- Joint pain
- Liver problems
- Muscle pain or tenderness
- Psychotic problems including confusion and hallucinations
- Skin problems
- Skin rash
- Urine colour changes
You should not take Metronidazole tablets if any of the following apply to you:
- You have or have ever had a liver problem
- You are having kidney dialysis
- You have a disease of nervous system
- You are pregnant or breast-feeding
You should not take Metronidazole tablets if you take any of the following medicines:
- Anti-coagulants (blood thinning agents), such as warfarin. The dosage of warfarin may need to be reduced if you are taking Metronidazole.
- Lithium - if taken at the same time as metronidazole, the kidneys may be affected.
- Medicines used to treat epilepsy (e.g. phenytoin, primidone, phenobarbitone).
- 5-fluorouracil (for cancer).
- Disulfiram (for alcohol abuse)
- Cimetidine (for indigestion and heartburn)
Metronidazole & alcohol
You should not drink alcohol during your course of Metronidazole tablets and for 48 hours afterwards. The combination of Metronidazole and alcohol can cause unwanted side effects such as nausea, vomiting, flushing, stomach pain, palpitations and headache.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.