Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids are found in oil from certain types of fish, vegetables, and other plant sources. These fatty acids are not made by the body and must be consumed in the diet. Omacor works by lowering the body's production of triglycerides. High levels of triglycerides can lead to coronary artery disease, heart disease, and stroke.
Omacor is used together with diet and exercise to help lower triglyceride levels in the blood.
Omacor may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.
The daily dose of Omacor is 4 g per day. The daily dose may be taken as a single 4-g dose (4 capsules) or as two 2-g doses (2 capsules given twice daily).
Always take Omacor exactly as your doctor has told you. You should check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
- Swallow the capsules with a drink of water.
- You may take the capsules at meal times help reduce gastro-intestinal side effects.
- Your doctor will decide how long you should take this medicine.
Dose after a heart attack
The usual dose is one capsule a day.
Dose to treat high blood triglyceride levels (high levels of fat in the blood or hypertriglyceridaemia)
The usual dose is 2 capsules a day, as recommended by a doctor.
If the medicine is not working well enough at this dose, your doctor may increase this to 4 capsules a day.
The active substances are omega-3-acid ethyl esters, 1000 mg of omega-3-acid ethyl esters 90 comprising 460 mg eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and 380 mg docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) ethyl esters (these substances are called omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids) including as antioxidant 4 mg d-alpha-tocopherol (mixed with a vegetable oil e.g. soya-bean oil).
The soft capsule shell is made up of gelatin, glycerol and purified water.
Like all medicines, Omacor can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The following are side effects that may happen with this medicine:
Common side effects (occur in 1 to 10 users in 100):
- stomach problems like abdominal distension, pain, constipation, diarrhoea, indigestion (dyspepsia), gas, belching (eructation), acid reflux, feeling sick (nausea) and being sick (vomiting)
Uncommon side effects (occur in 1 to 10 users in 1,000):
- high blood sugar levels
- problems with taste
- low blood pressure
- nose bleed
- blood in your stools
Do not take Omacor, if
- you are allergic (hypersensitive) to the main ingredient or any of the other ingredients of Omacor (see Section: Important information about some of the ingredients, and Section 6: Further Information).
If any of the above applies to you, do not take this medicine, and talk to your doctor.
Take special care with Omacor if:
- you are due to have or have had surgery recently
- you have had a trauma recently
- you have a kidney problem
- you have diabetes which is not controlled
- you have problems with your liver. Your doctor will monitor any effects Omacor may have on your liver with blood tests.
If any of the above applies to you, talk to your or pharmacist before taking this medicine.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.