Opticrom aqueous eye drops contain the active ingredient sodium cromoglicate, which is a type of medicine used to relieve the symptoms of allergies. Sodium cromoglicate eye drops are used to relieve the symptoms of eye allergies such as hay fever.
Sodium cromoglicate works by reducing allergic responses. It is not fully understood how it does this, but it is thought to work by 'stabilising' immune cells called mast cells.
Mast cells are an important part of the immune system. They become sensitised when they are exposed to foreign particles or allergens, for example pollen, pet fur or dust mites. When this happens, the mast cells release substances that include histamine, and these cause inflammation as part of the body’s immune response to fight the foreign substance. Inflammation of the eye causes the typical symptoms of an eye allergy - redness, itching and a watery discharge.
By stabilising the mast cells, sodium cromoglicate is thought to prevent the substances that cause the inflammation, eg histamine, from being released when the cells encounter an allergen. This helps prevent the allergic response and reduce the symptoms of the allergy.
Opticrom aqueous eye drops provide relief from red, itchy, watery and puffy eyes caused by allergies like hay fever. They work best when you start using them a few days before you are exposed to the allergen.
- Relieving symptoms of eye allergies (allergic conjunctivitis), eg caused by hay fever, pet allergies or dust mite allergies.
- A more severe form of allergic conjunctivitis called ‘vernal kerato conjunctivitis.
These eye drops are suitable for all age groups.
- Wash your hands before using the eye drops.
- When using the eye drops you should take care to not touch the tip of the dropper to any surface, or to your eye, in order to avoid contaminating the medicine.
- One or two drops should be put into each eye four times a day, or as directed by your doctor.
- It may take a few days for your symptoms to be fully relieved by these eye drops, so if possible it is best to start using them before you are exposed to the allergen. You can continue to use this medicine daily to control your symptoms for as long as you are exposed to the allergen, for example throughout the pollen season. However, if you need to use the drops continuously for longer than three months you should get advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Just because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Temporary burning or stinging after putting the drops into the eyes.
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the medicine's manufacturer.
For more information about any other possible risks associated with this medicine, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- Opticrom aqueous eye drops contain the preservative benzalkonium chloride, which can be absorbed by soft contact lenses and cause eye irritation. You should not wear contact lenses while you are using these eye drops.
- This medicine is for use in the eyes only and must not be taken by mouth.
- Eye drops may cause your vision to blur temporarily after you have put the drops in your eyes. Do not drive or operate machinery until this has worn off.
- These eye drops should be discarded four weeks after the bottle is first opened. This is because after this time they could be contaminated with dirt or germs that could cause eye infections. Write the date of opening on the bottle so you know when to throw them away. Dispose of them carefully, preferably by returning them to your pharmacy.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.