Oxytetracycline tablets are antibiotics for the treatment of mild to moderate acne. It kills the bacteria on the skin that cause blocked pores and lead to acne. When taken for 8 - 12 weeks, Oxytetracycline can help to clear up persistent acne and are available from The Independent Pharmacy Online Doctor service.
Do not squeeze your spots or try to ‘dig out’ blackheads. It can make your acne worse and even cause permanent scarring.
Oxytetracycline 250mg tablets are available to buy from The Independent Pharmacy Online Doctor service, following a free consultation, to help to treat acne. To find out more about acne and see all the available treatments, see our Online Doctor Acne page.
Oxytetracycline 250mg tablets is an oral antibiotic used to treat acne and other bacterial infections. Acne symptoms will present as blackheads and whiteheads, which are often referred to as spots or pimples.
The active ingredient, Oxytetracycline belongs to a group of medicines called tetracycline antibiotics. Oxytetracycline is a broad spectrum antibiotic that is effective against a wide variety of bacteria. It can also be used to treat other bacterial infections, such as chest infections, urine infections, skin infections, genital infections and mouth infections.
For treating acne, Oxytetracycline helps to kill the bacteria associated with causing spots (Propionibacterium). This common type of bacteria feeds on the sebum that is naturally produced by the skin in the sebaceous glands. This feeding causes propionibacterium to produce waste products and fatty acids, which can irritate the sebaceous glands. This irritation will cause the glands to become infected and inflamed, resulting in spots and other acne symptoms. Oxytetracycline 250mg tablets works by interfering with propionibacterium’s ability to produce the proteins that are essential for their reproduction. This action stops the spread of the infection, reducing the inflammation of the sebaceous glands and allowing the skin to heal naturally. The remaining bacteria is killed off by the immune system or will eventually die out.
Oxytetracycline tablets should be used alongside a good skincare regime where you wash the affected areas with a mild soap or cleanser once or twice daily to remove excess bacterial waste and sebum. You should use warm, not hot, water and pat the areas dry with a towel.
Oxytetracycline 250mg tablets are suitable for treating mild to moderate acne where there is an active infection and visible inflammation. The duration of treatment will depend on how quickly your condition improves.
You should take two Oxytetracycline tablets twice daily, preferably in the morning and evening.
- Oxytetracycline tablets should always be taken with a full glass of water.
- Oxytetracycline should be taken on an empty stomach, this is usually one hour before food or two hours after food.
- Oxytetracycline should not be taken at the same time as indigestion remedies. A gap of 2 -3 hours should be left between taking each treatment.
- For treating acne, you will normally need to take Oxytetracycline for at least 8 weeks. Treatment should be assessed after 3 months to determine whether it has been effective. If your treatment has been effective, you can continue to take Oxytetracycline for another 3 months where you should see more improvement. If there has been no improvement in your acne, you should stop taking Oxytetracycline and consider a different acne treatment.
The active ingredient in Oxytetracycline 250mg tablets is oxytetracycline.
It also contains: maize starch, pregelatinated maize starch, povidone, sodium starch glycollate, sodium lauryl sulphate, magnesium stearate, titanium dioxide (E171), quinoline yellow (E104), hydroxypropyl cellulose (E463), sunset yellow (E110), hypromellose, ethylcellulose and diethylphthalate.
Like all medicines, Oxytetracycline 250mg tablets can cause side effects. Not all people who take this medicine will experience side effects although if you do they may include:
- Nausea or abdominal pain
- Sensitivity of the skin to sunlight
You should not take Oxytetracycline tablets if you:
- are allergic or sensitive to or have had a bad reaction to tetracyclines or other medicines similar to Oxytetracycline dihydrate in the past.
- are allergic or sensitive to or have had a reaction to any of the ingredients in the medicine.
- are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- are elderly.
- have diabetes.
- have had a hypersensitivity or photosensitivity reaction.
- have kidney problems.
- have liver problems.
- have lupus or a lupus-like problem.
- have myasthenia gravis.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.