Pantoprazole is a generic drug used to treat certain conditions where there is too much acid in the stomach. It is used to treat gastric and duodenal ulcers, erosive esophagitis, and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). GERD is a condition where the acid in the stomach washes back up into the esophagus.
Pantoprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced by the stomach.
Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) is a digestive condition that commonly occurs in one in five people. It can affect people of all ages, including children. It is most common in adults aged 40 and over and occurs more in men than in women.
Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid leaks out of the stomach and into the gullet (oesophagus), which is a long tube that runs from the mouth to the stomach. Acid reflux is most commonly caused by weakening of the lower sphincter muscles of the gullet.
The common symptoms of GORD (acid reflux) include:
- Heartburn – a burning pain or discomfort below the breastbone, usually worse after meals,
- or when bending down, or when lying down
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth, caused by reflux of acid from the stomach
- Pain and difficulty in swallowing (dysphagia)
Most people respond well to treatment with medication and some people may require a long-term course of medication to control the symptoms of acid reflux.
Take the tablets 1 hour before a meal without chewing or breaking them and swallow them whole with some water
The active substance is pantoprazole. Each gastro- resistant tablet contains 20mg of pantoprazole (as sodium sesquihydrate).
The other ingredients are:
Mannitol, Sodium carbonate anhydrous, Sodium starch glycolate, Methacrylic acid copolymer, Calcium stearate, Opadry white OY-D-7233 (hypromellose 3cP, titanium dioxide, talc, macrogol, sodium lauryl sulphate), Kollicoat MAE 30 DP yellow (methacrylic acid-ethyl acrylate copolymer dispersion 30%, propylene glycol, yellow iron oxide, titanium dioxide, talc)
Other side effects are:
Uncommon (affects 1 to 10 users in 1,000):
headache; dizziness; diarrhoea; feeling sick, vomiting; bloating and flatulence (wind); constipation; dry mouth; abdominal pain and discomfort; skin rash, exanthema, eruption; itching; feeling weak, exhausted or generally unwell; sleep disorders; fracture of the hip, wrist or spine.
Pantoprazole tablets may influence the effectiveness of other medicines, so tell your doctor if you are taking
• Medicines such as ketoconazole, itraconazole and posaconazole (used to treat fungal infections) or erlotinib (used for certain types of cancer) because Pantoprazole tablets may stop these and other medicines from working properly.
• Warfarin and phenprocoumon, which affect the thickening, or thinning of the blood. You may need further checks.
• Atazanavir (used to treat HIV-infection).
Tell your doctor immediately if you notice any of the following symptoms:
• an unintentional loss of weight
• repeated vomiting
• difficulty in swallowing
• vomiting blood
• you look pale and feel weak (anaemia)
• you notice blood in your stools
• severe and/or persistent diarrhoea as pantoprazole
has been associated with a small increase in infectious diarrhoea.
All our orders are sent out using Royal Mail. Tracking is available on all orders.
We always aim to dispatch all orders within 24 hours of them being received, if we are unable to meet this
high standard for whatever reason we will always contact you to advise you of the delay.
We offer free UK standard delivery on orders over £40.
The following delivery options are available:
- Standard Delivery - 2/3 day delivery - £2.95
- Express Delivery - 1/2 day delivery - £4.45
- Special Delivery (Guaranteed before 1pm) - £8.95
- Saturday Guaranteed before 1pm - £10.45
The cut-off for same day dispatch of orders is 4pm. Orders processed after this time will be dispatched the following working day. Orders are dispatched Monday - Friday. Orders will not be processed on weekends or bank holidays.
We ensure all deliveries are in plain packaging for discreet delivery of your medicines and pharmacy goods.
Deliveries containing pharmacy-only or prescription medicines may require a signature on receipt.
Delivery is free for all NHS prescriptions.
Please note: Royal Mail do not deliver on Sundays or Bank Holidays - this should be taken into account when ordering.
We are currently unable to ship orders outside of the UK.