- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free support and advice
- We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
GTN Spray for Angina
Nitrolingual Glyceryl Trinitrate Spray (GTN Spray) is an aerosol spray applied under the tongue, which is quick and effective at reducing the workload of the heart to prevent chest pain caused by an angina attack.
Nitrolingual can be purchased online from The Independent Pharmacy today once you have completed a health consultation with one of our medical team. Get convenient, discreet delivery of your treatment direct to your door.
What is Nitrolingual Spray?
Nitrolingual GTN Spray contains the active ingredient Glyceryl Trinitrate, which is a medicine known as nitrate. GTN Spray is one of the most popular treatments that is applied under the tongue.
It is used to prevent chest pain caused by an angina attack either before or after symptoms have commenced.
If you are an adult over the age of 18 years and have been told you suffer from angina by a doctor, GTN Spray may be a suitable option for you.
Brands of GTN Spray include Glytrin and Nitrolingual.
What is GTN Spray used for?
Nitrolingual GTN Spray is an effective treatment for the prevention of chest pain caused by an angina attack either before symptoms occur or once they have presented.
Common symptoms of chest pain caused by angina include:
- Dull or heavy tightness in the chest
- Women may experience sharp, stabbing pains in the chest
- Chest pain spreads to your left arm, neck, jaw or back
- Triggers include physical exertion or stress
- The pain subsides within a few minutes of resting
If you are not sure if your symptoms are caused by angina you should speak to a doctor for advice before starting any treatments.
What is angina?
Angina is chest pain that is caused by a reduction in blood flow to the heart muscles due to hardening and narrowing of the blood vessels. It is usually a warning sign that you could be at risk of having a heart attack or stroke.
Using the right treatment and making healthy lifestyle changes such as having a balanced diet and reducing alcohol intake, can help to control angina and reduce the risk of more serious health problems.
How does GTN Spray work?
Glyceryl Trinitrate is the active ingredient contained in GTN Spray. When this product is sprayed under the tongue it is quickly absorbed by the body offering rapid relief from chest pain caused by angina.
GTN works by relaxing and widening the blood vessels that supply the heart muscles with oxygen making it easier for the heart to pump blood around the body. This process reduces the hardening and narrowing of these vessels, which in angina cause the chest pain.
GTN Spray warnings
Please familiarise yourself with all warnings and precautions associated with this product detailed in the Patient Information Leaflet.
- Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are currently taking or have recently stopped taking any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol while using GTN Spray as you may be affected more than usual as both lower your blood pressure and slow down your reactions.
- GTN Spray can lower your blood pressure and slow your reaction time. It is therefore recommended that you avoid driving or operating machinery while using this product.
- Perpetual use of this product can cause you to develop some tolerance making it less effective at reducing your symptoms. Continuous doses should therefore be avoided.
GTN Spray & Pregnancy
Consult a doctor before using GTN spray if you are pregnant. You should not use this product if you are breastfeeding.
GTN Spray dose
- This product should only be used by adults over the age of 18 years and should be sprayed directly under the tongue.
- Before experiencing an angina attack ensure that you know how your GTN Spray works. Press the spray down a few times until the product mists out.
- The usual dose of GTN Spray is 1-2 sprays as required.
Use at the onset of an attack or to prevent an imminent attack as part of the following steps:
- Sit down
- Hold the canister upright near your mouth with the spray nozzle facing you
- Hold your breath and lift your tongue. Aim the nozzle into your mouth
- Press down the nozzle firmly to apply one spray only
- Close your mouth
- Once symptoms have improved stand up slowly as you may feel dizzy
For more information please ensure that you have read all the information contained in the Patient Information Leaflet.
GTN Spray ingredients
The active ingredient in GTN Spray: glyceryl trinitrate
The other ingredients are: peppermint oil, ethanol and tetrafluoroethane .
Before using GTN Spray you should take the time to read the Patient Information Leaflet.
GTN Spray side effects
This product, like other medication, can cause some people to experience side effects.
The most commonly experienced side effects include:
- Facial flushing
In rare circumstances, some people may experience the following side effects:
- Allergic skin reactions
- Tongue blistering
If you experience any of these rare side effects you should stop using GTN Spray immediately and consult a doctor.
Please read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly before using this product.