- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free support and advice
- We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
About Dulcolax Pico 5mg/5ml Liquid
Dulcolax Pico Liquid 5mg/5ml is a fruit flavoured solution that provides effective short term relief from constipation with fast acting results. Useful for those people who have swallowing difficulties such as dysphagia. Dulcolax solution can also be useful for emptying the bowel prior to abdominal radiological procedures.
Dulcolax Pico 5mg/5ml Liquid information
What is Dulcolax Pico Liquid and what is it used for?
Dulcolax Pico Liquid offers fast-acting relief from short-term, occasional constipation. Dulcolax Pico contains the active ingredient sodium picosulfate, which is a stimulant laxative that stimulates the bowel walls to speed up bowel movements offering rapid relief from bloating and discomfort caused by constipation.
Dulcolax Pico Liquid is suitable for adults over the age of 18 years to treat constipation for up to 5 days. It is manufactured by SANOFI and is available in a fruity, palatable flavour.
What is constipation?
Constipation is a common problem that can affect people of all ages causing reduces bowel movements leading to dry, hard and lumpy stools that are sometimes large and hard to pass. Constipation can be incredibly uncomfortable causing suffers to feel bloated, nauseous and can even cause pain when trying to pass stool.
Constipation can have many different causes, but some of the most common causes include:
- a lack of fibre in your diet
- not drinking enough water
- not getting enough exercise
- ignoring the need to go to the toilet
- side effects of medication
How does Dulcolax Pico Liquid work?
Dulcolax Pico Liquid contains the active ingredient Sodium Picosulfate, which belongs to a category of medication known as a stimulant laxative. Sodium picosulfate helps to improve symptoms of constipation by stimulating the muscles in your bowel to move. This helps to propel the hardened stools through your body, helping you to go to the toilet quickly and more easily.
How quickly does Dulcolax Pico Liquid work?
Dulcolax Pico Liquid is best taken at night and will, for most people, take effect within 6-12 hours. You should not use this medicine for more than 5 consecutive days. If you continue to have reduced bowel movements after 5 days of use you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Dulcolax Pico Liquid alternatives
For some people making simple dietary and lifestyle changes can help to prevent and relieve mild, occasional constipation. These changes include:
- Drinking more non-alcoholic fluids
- Increasing the fibre in your diet
- Getting more exercise and moving regularly throughout the day
If you have tried making some simple changes and this has not helped improve your constipation there are different types of laxative that some people may find more suitable.
- Bulk-forming Laxatives: increase the weight of the stool, take 2-3 days to work e.g Fybogel
- Osmotic Laxative: draw water into the stool to soften them, take 2-3 days to work e.g Lactulose, Movicol
For more constipation treatments and advice please take a look at our Advice for Constipation page.
Dulcolax Pico Liquid warnings
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- Avoid taking this medication and consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medicine if you are allergic to the ingredients in the product such as Sodium Picosulfate or, if you are suffering from ileus, or if you have inflammation of the small and large intestine or if you have serious abdominal pain with nausea and vomiting or if you have severe dehydration, or if you have a severe abdominal condition for example appendicitis, or if you have an intestinal obstruction (a blocked bowel).
- If you are expecting or planning to become expecting or if you are breastfeeding, consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking this medication.
- Some medication can affect how Dulcolax Pico liquid works, and also Duloclax Pico liquid can affect how some other medicines work, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have recently taken or if you are taking the following medication obtained with or without a prescription: herbal medicines, diuretics (water tablets) for example Furosemide (Furosemide), or Bendrofluazide, steroids, for example, prednisolone or antibiotics.
- If you take more than the required dose, consult your doctor immediately. Discontinue taking this medicine and consult the doctor immediately, if you have serious allergic reactions.
- Dulcolax Pico liquid might cause rare unwanted effects that usually affect less than 1 individual in 1000 people, although not everybody gets them. These rare side effects might include rash, swelling of your skin, the face and mouth which might cause breathing or swallowing problems.
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
Dulcolax Pico Liquid dosage
Adults (18 years and over), including the elderly:
Take one to two 5 ml spoonfuls at night for a maximum of 5 consecutive days.
If this is your first time taking Dulcolax Pico Liquid it is recommended you start by taking 1 spoonful and increase to 2 if necessary. If your bowel regularity has returned to normal, the dosage can be stopped.
Dulcolax Pico Liquid ingredients
The active ingredients contained in this medicine is: Sodium Picosulfate 5mg/ml.
The medicine also contains the following inactive ingredients: Carmellose Sodium, Methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218), Propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216), Glycerol, Aroma Tutti Frutti (flavouring), Saccharin Sodium, Sunset Yellow FCF (E110), Ethanol (5.9% v/v), Sodium Hydroxide Solution and Water.
Dulcolax Pico Liquid side effects
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take medication, however, if you do they can include:
- vomiting or nausea
- abdominal cramps
- discomfort or pain
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.