- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
About Senna 7.5mg Tablets
Senna 7.5mg Tablets information
What are Senna Tablets and what are they used for?
Restore your natural rhythm with Senna tablets which provide relief from constipation. With the active natural ingredient calcium sennosides, which is derived from the Senna Leaf and is known as a stimulant laxative. They work within 8-12 hours to gently relieve short-term or occasional constipation. Available in several strengths, a 15mg oral dose of Senna takes control of your digestive health by increasing gut muscle activity.
Each box of Senna can be purchased in quantities of 100 tablets and can be taken by adults over the age of 18 years for a maximum of 2 weeks. If your constipation is not improved after this time you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for further advice.
How does Senna work?
Senna contains an active ingredient that works as a stimulant laxative. This means that it works to help relieve constipation by stimulating the nerves in the gut to help speed up sluggish bowels and move hard, large stools through the bowels. It is best to take Senna tablets before you go to bed to allow them to start working overnight.
What is constipation?
Constipation is a common condition and can affect people of all ages, often causing discomfort or even pain. As food moves through the colon, water becomes absorbed, leaving behind the stool. The colon muscles contract in a wave-like motion to move the stool toward the rectum. When the stool reaches the rectum, it is solid because most of the water has been absorbed.
If the large intestine muscles are sluggish, the colon will absorb too much water and the stool will become dry and hard, resulting in difficult, painful bowel movements. If left untreated, constipation may lead to haemorrhoids, anal fissures, rectal prolapse, and faecal impaction.
Everyone has their own normal bowel movement. For some, it’s three times a day; for others, it’s three times a week. Normal is about quality, not quantity. Pushing, straining or discomfort are signs of constipation.
Alternatives to Senna
Drinking plenty of water and eating fibre while taking Senna tablets can help you restore regularity more quickly. Natural ways of avoiding constipation include staying physically active, consuming more dietary fibre(between 26–35 grams/day), and drinking more water (at least 2.2 L).
It is recommended that you should try using either a bulk-forming laxative, an osmotic laxative or a stool softener before using a stimulant laxative such as Senna, as they can be very effective while having fewer side effects associated with them. Examples of other laxatives used to relieve constipation include:
- Bulk-forming laxatives (Fybogel) - These increase the size of the stool which helps stimulate the bowel making the stool easier and quicker to pass. Bulk-forming laxatives take 2 or 3 days to work.
- Osmotic laxatives (Lactulose, Movico) - These laxatives draw water into your bowel and stools making them softer and easier to pass. They take at least 2 days to work.
Stool Softener (DulcoEase) - These let water into the stool to soften it and make it easier to pass.
Senna Tablets, Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/e...
Senna Tablets warnings
Read the following warnings carefully to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
Do not take Senna Tablets if any of the following apply to you:
- You have consistent, sharp stomach pain, nausea or vomiting.
- Your abdomen is tender to the touch or hurts when you move.
- If you have blockage or narrowing of the gastrointestinal tract or bowel or lack of muscle tone in the bowel.
- If you have appendicitis, inflammatory bowel disease such as Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis.
- If you have faecal impaction or rectal bleeding for which you don’t know the cause, or blood in stools.
- If you have severe dehydration.
- If you have already taken a laxative and you are still constipated.
- If you have had a sudden change in bowel habit that has lasted for more than 2 weeks.
- If you have kidney or heart failure.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you are under 12 years of age unless advised by a medical professional
Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before taking Senna if you are currently taking or have recently stopped taking any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication.
Read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medication and inform your doctor about any medications you take or intend to take.
Senna Tablets dosage
Adults 18 years and over: Take 1-2 Senna tablets at night with a glass of water.
Once your normal regularity has returned you should lower your dose and eventually stop. You should not take this medication for more than 2 weeks without first consulting with a doctor.
Senna Tablets ingredients
The active ingredient in each Senna Tablet is: Senna Fruit equivalent to 7.5mg of sennoside B.
The inactive ingredients are: Calcium phosphate, maize starch, lactose monohydrate and magnesium stearate.
Senna Tablets side effects
Some people may experience side effects when taking Senna these may include:
- Mild, temporary mild stomach pains if changing dose.
- Abdominal pains, diarrhoea and spasms.
- Allergic reaction- rash, hives or itching around the anus.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in a different way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.