- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free support and advice
- We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
Colgate Duraphat Fluoride Toothpaste
Colgate Duraphat toothpaste is a prescription-strength fluoride toothpaste for adults who require additional support for their teeth to prevent tooth decay.
Duraphat toothpaste can be purchased from The Independent Pharmacy and delivered to you, once you have completed an online consultation that has been approved by one of our medical team.
What is Duraphat and what is it used for?
Colgate Duraphat is sodium fluoride toothpaste available on prescription to prevent tooth decay in adults who are at high risk of developing dental caries.
People who may benefit from a high strength fluoride toothpaste include those with:
- exposed roots
- a high sugar diet
- a dry mouth
- orthodontic appliances
- a history of tooth decay
- difficulties with manual tooth brushing
With daily use, this high fluoride toothpaste can help prevent tooth decay and even help repair the enamel and dentine to reverse the damage that has already occurred.
How does Duraphat work?
Duraphat contains a high dose of sodium fluoride, which when applied directly to the teeth prevents the breakdown of the tooth surface and prompts remineralization helping to repair and strengthen teeth that may already be damaged.
How long does Duraphat take to work?
With regular, long-term use, Colgate Duraphat is highly effective at promoting stronger healthier teeth.
What is the difference between Duraphat and other fluoride toothpaste?
Most over-the-counter toothpaste contains 1450ppm of fluoride, however, Duraphat has been clinically designed to promote the repair and strength of vulnerable teeth and therefore can be prescribed at either 2800ppm or 5000ppm depending on the recommended dose to suit you.
- Fluoride Toothpaste 5000ppm, Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/9575/pil
- Duraphat toothpaste contains a high dose of fluoride. You should avoid other products containing fluoride including fluoridated water and salt while you are using this product to avoid a build-up of fluoride.
- Do not swallow this product. If accidentally swallowed it may cause you to feel sick, experience diarrhoea or have abdominal pain. Swallowing small amounts of fluoride toothpaste over time can cause staining of the tooth enamel, enamel weakening or increased bone density.
Duraphat in Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
If you are pregnant, trying to get pregnant or breastfeeding you should speak to a doctor, dentist or pharmacist before using this product.
How to use Duraphat toothpaste
Duraphat toothpaste is applied directly to the teeth. For use by adults over the age of 18 years. You should use this product as prescribed instead of your normal toothpaste.
- Brush your teeth with Duraphat 3 times a day after eating.
- Apply a 2cm ribbon of paste to your toothbrush.
- Brush vertically down from the gum to the tip of your teeth for 3 minutes.
- Spit out, being careful not to swallow.
Each tube of Duraphat toothpaste contains the active ingredient:
Sodium Fluoride (2800ppm or 500ppm)
The other ingredients are:
Sorbitol solution (E420), dental type silica (E551), macrogol 600 (E1521), tetra potassium pyrophosphate (E340), xanthan gum (E415), sodium benzoate (E211), sodium lauryl sulfate, menthol, propylene glycol, carvone, spearmint oil, peppermint oil, anethole, and vanillin, saccharin sodium (E954), brilliant blue FCF (E133) and purified water.
Duraphat side effects
It is very rare for Duraphat toothpaste to cause side effects. However, it may cause some people to experience allergic reactions including:
- A rash
- Burning sensation in your mouth
If, in the unfortunate event, you develop any of these symptoms you should speak to a dentist, doctor or pharmacist for advice.