- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
|Type of medicine||Oestrogen steroid hormone|
|Works by||Topping up the hormone when natural levels are low|
|Active ingredient||Estradiol hemihydrate|
|Pack size||56 sprays|
|Manufacturer||Gedeon Richter (UK) Ltd|
|Use with alcohol||No known effects|
What is Lenzetto Spray?
Lenzetto Spray contains the active ingredient estradiol, a type of oestrogen naturally produced by the body. Lenzetto is sprayed directly onto the skin where it is absorbed into the blood to increase oestrogen levels and reduce symptoms of the menopause such as vaginal dryness and hot flashes.
Each 6.5 ml bottle of Lenzetto spray is manufactured by Gedeon Richter and contains 56 sprays. It is suitable for use by women who had their last menstrual bleed 6 months ago, those who have undergone a hysterectomy or it can be used by women who still have an intact uterus alongside a progesterone-only form of HRT.
What is Lenzetto Spray used for?
Lenzetto Spray is a prescription HRT for women whose menopausal symptoms have a significant negative effect on their experience of daily life.
Lenzetto Spray can help relieve:
- Hot flushes
- Night sweats
- Difficulty sleeping
- Vaginal dryness and irritation
- Reduced sex drive
- Low mood
How does Lenzetto Spray work?
Menopause is caused by the natural drop in oestrogen levels in a woman’s blood when she ceases to produce eggs as she stops ovulating. It is this decline in oestrogen levels that produces the symptoms that are associated with menopause.
Lenzetto Spray contains a type of oestrogen called estradiol. When Lenzetto is sprayed onto the skin the hormone is absorbed into the bloodstream where it boosts the levels of oestrogen circulating through the body and effectively reduces symptoms.
How quickly does Lenzetto Spray work?
It is recommended that you review your dose of Lenzetto Spray every 3 - 6 months to ensure you are on the right dose to suit your needs. If you are starting Lenzetto Spray without having previously used any form of HRT it is likely that it will take around 3 months before you experience a noticeable reduction in your symptoms.
Alternatives to Lenzetto Spray
If you would like to discuss changing to a different form of HRT you should arrange to speak to your doctor who will be able to advise you of your options.
- Lenzetto Spray Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/11175/pil
Lenzetto Spray dose
- Lenzetto Spray is only suitable for women who are experiencing menopausal symptoms and who have been prescribed it by their GP following an initial health assessment.
- Lenzetto Spray should not be applied to the breasts and face or any areas of irritated or broken skin. Recommended application areas are the inner arms or inner thighs.
- Use Lenzetto Spray exactly as you have been prescribed by your doctor. One spray delivers the lowest dose of Lenzetto Spray. Read the Patient Information Leaflet before use.
- If you have not had a hysterectomy you should speak to your doctor before using Lenzetto Spray as they will prescribe another HRT containing a form of the hormone progesterone.
How to use Lenzetto Spray
- Ensure your application site is clean and dry.
- Take off the plastic cover and hold the bottle upright while resting the plastic cone flat against the skin.
- Push the pump down fully to release 1 dose. If you need more than 1 spray move the bottle further down the arm, or thigh, for each additional spray.
- Let the spray air dry for 2 minutes before dressing and wait 1 hour before showering, bathing or swimming.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after use.
You should speak to a doctor if you want to stop using Lenzetto Spray, they will be able to advise on potential side effects and how to minimise these.
Lenzetto Spray ingredients
Lenzetto Spray active ingredients: estradiol hemihydrate.
Other ingredients: octisalate and ethanol 96%.
Lenzetto Spray side effects
Lenzetto Spray, like other HRT, may cause some people to experience some unwanted side effects. Most of these side effects will improve within the first 3 months of use. If they do not improve within this time you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist.
If you develop any severe side effects or an allergic reaction while using Lenzetto Spray you should seek medical advice from your nearest emergency department as soon as possible.
The most commonly experienced side effects when using Lenzetto Spray are:
- Abdominal pain
- Rashes and itching
- Irregular vaginal bleeding
- Breast tenderness and pain
- Weight increase or decrease
Before using Lenzetto Spray you must read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly.
Lenzetto Spray warnings
Please read the Patient Information Leaflet carefully before using Lenzetto Spray.
Applying any form of HRT treatment, including Lenzetto Spray, increases your chance of developing specific health conditions. If you have any questions or concerns you should discuss these with your GP or specialist.
Your eligibility to purchase Lenzetto Spray on repeat prescription from The Independent Pharmacy relies upon you attending an annual check-up with your GP, which should include a breast screen, blood pressure, blood tests and a cervical smear test.
- If you still have an intact womb your doctor should prescribe you a form of HRT that contains a version of the hormone progesterone to use alongside Lenzetto Spray to reduce your risk of developing certain cancers.
- Lenzetto Spray may not be an appropriate treatment option for everyone. You should not use this product if you have ever had or are at risk of oestrogen-sensitive cancer, a blood clot, have a blood clotting disorder or have liver disease.
- Discuss with your GP before using Lenzetto Spray if you have fibroids, endometriosis, have high blood pressure, diabetes, gallstones, SLE, epilepsy, asthma, kidney problems, suffer from migraines as HRT can make these conditions worse.
- Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using Lenzetto Spray if you are currently taking or have recently stopped taking any other prescribed or non-prescribed medicine including herbal remedies such as St John’s-Wort.
- Lenzetto Spray contains alcohol making it flammable. Avoid smoking or naked flames when using this product to avoid burns.
Lenzetto Spray and cancer
Lenzetto Spray, like other oestrogen-only HRT, raises your risk of contracting cancers of the womb. Lenzetto Spray, can consequently, only be used by women who do not have an intact womb or who are prescribed a progesterone HRT alongside it to decrease these risks.
Using all HRT slightly increases your chances of developing breast cancer or ovarian cancer and therefore you must continue to attend an annual health review and regularly check your breasts for any changes including lumps and dimples. If you notice any irregularities you should get these checked by a doctor as soon as possible.
Lenzetto Spray in pregnancy & breastfeeding
Lenzetto Spray is only suitable for women experiencing menopause and should not be taken as a contraceptive or when pregnant. If you have had a menstrual period within the last 12 months you should use additional contraception. If you think you have become pregnant while taking Lenzetto Spray you should speak to a doctor for advice.