- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free support and advice
- We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
Lyclear Cream for Scabies
Lyclear 5% cream is a highly effective topical treatment used to clear scabies and crab mites and their eggs from the skin. You can get relief from itching within just a few hours and most cases can be treated with a single, thorough application.
You can buy Lyclear cream online from The Independent Pharmacy to get fast, discreet delivery directly to your door. Get treatment today by completing our quick online health questionnaire.
Lyclear Cream Information
What is Lyclear (permethrin)?
Lyclear cream is an effective treatment for infestations of scabies and crab lice on the body. It contains the active ingredient permethrin which paralyses and kills mites and their eggs, offering lasting relief from the itch and irritation of scabies.
Lyclear can be used to treat children and adults from the age of 2 years and so is suitable for the whole family, so you can buy up to six 30g tubes online from The Independent Pharmacy at one time.
For most people, one to two applications 14 days apart is usually sufficient to completely clear them of scabies or crab mites.
Lyclear cream is the branded version of the generic treatment, Permethrin 5% cream.
What is Lyclear used for?
Lyclear cream is used to treat infestations of scabies and crab lice on the body. Killing the eggs and mites themselves.
Scabies and crabs cause intense itching which can lead to irritation and break down of the skin. Although Lyclear kills the mites you may still experience some itching for up to 4 weeks after use - this is normal. You can treat the itch with Eurax cream or E45 Itch Relief. If you do not notice improvement after 14 days you may need to do a second application.
How does Lyclear work? Does it kill eggs?
Lyclear contains the active ingredient permethrin which is an insecticide that paralyses mites, killing them and their eggs.
How long does Lyclear take to work?
Once the cream has been applied to the skin and left for 8 hours, preferably overnight, you should notice some reduction to the intensity of the itching. In some cases where the infestation is persistent or there is a renewed infestation, a second application may be needed after 14 days.
If you do not notice significant improvement after the second application you should speak to a pharmacist or doctor for further advice.
- Lyclear Dermal Cream, Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1715/pil
Lyclear Cream warnings
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- Lyclear contains paraffin, which can be flammable and cause burns Avoid smoking or going near naked flames during use.
- Lyclear in some people may worsen symptoms of asthma or eczema.
- Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using Lyclear if you are using, have recently used or might use any other medicines including corticosteroids used to treat skin conditions like eczema.
- Do not contact the eyes with Lyclear Dermal Cream.
- If the eyes get contaminated, immediately rinse with water.
- Avoid taking a hot bath just before treatment.
- Before application, ensure the skin is clean, dry and cool.
- Permethrin Cream should be applied externally only.
- Nursing staff who apply this cream to patients may wear gloves to avoid irritation of the hands.
- Special care should be taken when applying Lyclear Dermal Cream Permethrin to the elderly.
- Keep out of sight and out of reach of children.
For cutaneous use only. Do not swallow this medicine. Avoid contact with eyes or mucous membranes (inside the nose or throat, genital region) or open wounds.
Please read all the packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
Lyclear & Pregnancy
If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby and think you may have scabies or crab lice you should ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
Lyclear can be purchased for use in children and adults from the age of 2 years for the application to the skin only to treat scabies or for over 18 years for crab lice. Please use only as directed in the Patient Information Leaflet or by your doctor.
Lyclear cream should only be applied to clean, dry, cool skin. You should avoid taking a hot bath or shower immediately before treatment.
When applying Lyclear cream to treat scabies make sure to cover all areas of the skin including palms of hands, soles of feet, armpits, external genitalia, buttocks and under the fingernails. If your face and scalp are not affected this should be the only area the cream is not applied, unless you are a child or an elderly person.
Leave Lyclear Dermal Cream on for at least 8 to 12 hours (usually overnight), and then wash off with water and soap. Re-apply Lyclear Dermal Cream to your hands, if within 8 hours of treatment, they have been washed with water and soap.
Approximately 90% of individuals are cured with a single application of cream. If necessary, a second application may be given at least 7 days after the initial application, if there are no signs of the original lesions healing or if new lesions are present.
To treat scabies in adults and adolescents over 12 years of age:
Apply the contents of one 30 g tube to the skin on the whole body.
To treat scabies in children 6-12 years old:
Apply half a 30 g tube of Lyclear cream to the skin on the whole body.
Children aged from 2 years - 5 years:
Apply a quarter of a 30 g tube of Lyclear cream to the skin on the whole body including the scalp.
To treat crab lice, Adults, over 18 years of age:
Apply up to 30 g of cream to the whole body, paying particular attention to facial hair. Do not apply to the eyelashes, these lice should be removed using tweezers.
The active substance in Lyclear cream: Permethrin 5% w/w.
The inactive ingredients in Lyclear cream: Coconut oil, glyceryl monostearate, macrogol cetyl ether, cetomacrogol 1000, isopropyl myristate, lanolin alcohols/liquid paraffin mixture, butylated hydroxytoluene (E321), glycerol, formaldehyde solution, carbomer, sodium hydroxide and purified water.
Please make sure you are aware of all the ingredients in Lyclear cream detailed in the Patient Information Leaflet.
Lyclear Cream side effects
Lyclear may cause some people to experience side effects that are usually mild and improve after 8 hours once the application is washed off. If you are worried about side effects or do not think Lyclear has improved your condition speak to a doctor for advice.
Side effects may include:
- Slight stinging or burning of the skin might occur occasionally, but it disappears quickly.
- Irritation may increase or continue for a short period during treatment with signs such as itching, skin redness, or a rash, manifesting.
- Itching of the skin might continue for up to four weeks after treatment with Lyclear Dermal Cream. This is usually a normal process caused by sensitivity to the dead scabies mites.
If you experience any severe side effects or an allergic reaction while using Lyclear you should get immediate medical advice either by calling 999 or attending your nearest emergency department.
Please read the Patient Information Leaflet for full details on side effects and how to report new symptoms.
Lyclear 5% Dermal Cream reviews
Lyclear 5% Dermal Cream FAQs
- Crab lice in adults.
- Scabies in adults and children aged two months and over.
Lyclear dermal cream contains the active ingredient permethrin, an insecticide that treats scabies and crab lice.
Apply the cream over the whole body; the permethrin kills the parasites by poisoning them.
Repeat the treatment after seven days to kill any parasites that have survived or that have emerged from eggs.
Apply Lyclear to clean, dry, cool skin. If you have had a hot bath or shower, allow the skin to cool before application. Rub the cream gently into the skin until it vanishes.
- All members of an affected household should be treated at the same time.
- Apply Lyclear Dermal Cream over the whole body, including the external genitals, buttocks, wrists, armpits, elbows, soles of the feet, palms of the hands, between toes and fingers and underneath the toenails and fingernails. You should also treat the neck, face, ears and scalp, but avoid the areas around the eyes.
- Adults and elderly people should use up to one 30g tube for one treatment. Depending on your size, you may require up to two tubes.
- Treat children aged 6 to 12 years with up to half a 30g tube. Treat children aged two months to six years with up to one quarter of a 30g tube. With children, avoid applying the cream to areas around their mouth to avoid it being licked off. Children who are likely to put their hands in their mouths should wear gloves.
- Leave the cream on the skin for 8 to 12 hours (it won’t be visible) and then thoroughly wash the whole body. You could apply the cream at bedtime, for example, and wash it off in the morning.
- If you must wash a treated area within the 8 to 12 hour period, your hands for example, you should reapply the cream to that area each time you wash.
- Repeat the treatment after seven days.
- Adults should apply enough cream to cover the entire body, including the pubic region, inner thighs down to the knees, area around the anus and any hair that grows up from the pubic area to the chest/stomach. Apply it also to the scalp, face, and neck, facial hair and eyebrows. Take care to avoid the eyes. If you find live lice or eggs on the eyelashes, remove them carefully with tweezers. Don’t apply the cream to the eyelashes because it can cause eye irritation.
- Leave the cream on the skin and hair for 12 hours (it won’t be visible) and then thoroughly wash it off. For example, you could apply the cream at bedtime and wash it off in the morning.
- Repeat the treatment in seven days.
The active ingredient, Permethrin (a pyrethroid—anti-parasitic agent) binds to sodium channels on the parasite’s nerve endings. This leads to paralysis of the nervous system and ultimately the insect’s death.
Please note that this product is Lyclear Dermal Cream, which is a cream for scabies and pubic lice.
Lyclear Scabies Cream kills mites in their burrows. It contains no colourings or perfume; it is odourless and absorbed completely into the skin without residue. Lyclear is effective in 91% of infestations after one application.