Threadworms, also known as pinworms, are the most common form of worm infection in the UK and are particularly common amongst young children under the age of 10. Threadworm infections are generally caused by poor hygiene – not washing your hands after using the toilet (or touching/scratching the anal area) results in threadworm eggs being stuck under the fingernails and being passed on to anything you touch.
These tiny parasitic worms infect and hatch eggs in the large intestine of humans. They resemble a tiny piece of white thread, approximately one centimetre in length and can be visible around the anus or vaginal area and also in the stools.
Threadworms are not harmful, however they can be uncomfortable and also embarrassing for the sufferer due to the nature of the area they infect. They should be treated as soon as possible to relieve symptoms and prevent spread.