- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
About Eurax Cream
Eurax Cream information
What is Eurax Cream and what is it used for?
Eurax cream is a treatment that contains crotamiton that can be used to relieve itchiness and irritated skin associated with a variety of conditions, including:
- Insect bites or stings
- Nettle rash
- Heat rash
- Eczema or dermatitis
- Chickenpox and scabies
Eurax Cream is manufactured by Thornton and Ross and is available to buy online in tubes containing 100g. Each application offers 6-10 hours of relief.
How does Eurax Cream work?
Eurax cream uses an active ingredient known as crotamiton, a medicine that effectively relieves pruritis (itchy skin). How these processes works are not fully understood, however, each application can provide up to 10 hours of relief from itchiness. This can be incredibly useful when dealing with the itchiness associated with scabies after a course of anti-parasitic medicine.
Alternatives to Eurax Cream
Eurax Cream is very effective at reducing itching caused by several factors. Most commonly it is used to help ease symptoms of eczema and dermatitis. Emollients and moisturisers are a great alternative for easing itchy or irritated skin, a full list of treatments can be seen over on our Eczema and Dermatitis Advice page.
- Eurax Cream, Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/e...
How to use Eurax Cream
Adults and children over the age of 3 years:
- Apply to the affected area 2-3 times daily.
For children under 3 years of age consult your doctor before use and do not apply more than
once a day.
If symptoms persist consult your doctor.
Eurax Cream ingredients
The active ingredient in Eurax Cream is: Crotamiton 10% w/w.
The other ingredients in Eurax Cream are: Methyl hydroxybenzoate E218, phenyl ethyl
alcohol, glycerol, triethanolamine, sodium lauryl sulphate, ethylene glycol monostearate, stearyl alcohol, strong ammonia solution, stearic acid, hard paraffin, white beeswax, purified water and perfume.
Eurax Cream side effects
Eurax Cream like other medications can cause some people to experience unwanted side effects. These can include:
- difficulty in breathing or swallowing
- swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat
- severe itching of the skin with a red rash or raised bumps
For individuals who are hypersensitive to certain ingredients, Eurax cream may increase irritation. If this occurs, stop using the cream immediately.
Eurax Cream warnings
- Eurax Cream is not recommended in pregnancy.
- Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using Eurax Cream if you are breastfeeding, or suffering from genital itching.
- This product contains stearyl alcohol which may cause local skin reactions (e.g. contact dermatitis) and methyl hydroxybenzoate which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed).
- Do not apply Eurax cream to children under the age of 3 years unless you have been specifically told to by your doctor. If so, do not apply more than once per day.
- This product is flammable. Do not smoke or go near naked flames while using this treatment.
Before using this product please take the time to read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly.