Brolene Eye Drops treat minor bacterial eye infections. The medication contains the active ingredient propamidine, an antibiotic which controls the cause of the infection.
Brolene Eye Drops treat minor infections of the eye or eye lid, with common symptoms including:
- Stickiness or crust on the eyelids
Brolene Eye Drops is one of the most effective products for eye infections like conjunctivitis. To use, place 1-2 drops into the affected eye up to four times a day. The active ingredient, propamidine, kills bacteria on contact and prevents them from growing and multiplying. Any remaining bacteria die or are killed by the body's immune system.
Propamidine can be purchased from pharmacies to treat minor eye infections of the eye, e.g. conjunctivitis, or of the eyelids, e.g. blepharitis. It is also prescribed by eye specialists to treat acanthamoeba keratitis, a rare eye infection associated with contact lens use.
- This medicine is for use in the eye only and must not be ingested.
- When using the eye drops or ointment, take care to not touch the dropper or tube tip to any surface or to your eye, to avoid contaminating the medicine.
- After you have applied the drops or ointment, your vision may blur temporarily. Do not drive or operate machinery until this has worn off.
- You should not wear contact lenses while using Brolene as they could aggravate the infection. Avoid wearing your contact lenses for 24 hours after you have finished using this medicine.
- Do not use Brolene longer than two days without consulting your doctor.
- Seek medical advice immediately if you have any problems with your vision or if your symptoms worsen.
- Brolene eye drops and ointment are sterile until opened. Dispose of any remaining medication four weeks after you have opened it, as it is likely to be contaminated. It may be helpful to write the date of the first opening on the bottle.
Brolene is supplied as a liquid in a 10ml plastic dropper bottle with a tamper-proof cap.
Adults, including the elderly and children 12 years and over:
Apply one or two drops into the eye up to four times daily.
Please do not exceed the maximum daily dose of 8 drops in 24 hours.
Do not take doses more frequently than every 4 hours.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- After 4 weeks of opening these eye drops, discard any unused solution.
- Until you are sure you can see clearly after using the drops, avoid driving or operating machinery.
- Avoid wearing soft or hard lenses.
- Discontinue using the eye drops and contact your doctor, if you experience any allergic reaction.
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
The active ingredients contained in this medicine is/are:
Propamidine Isetionate 0.1% w/v.
The medicine also contains the following inactive ingredients to make up the complete product:
Benzalkonium Chloride (Preservative), Ammonium Chloride, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide and Water for Injections.