Orajel Maximum Strength Toothache Gel contains the active ingredient Benzocaine 20%. Benzocaine is a local anaesthetic that will provide effective relief by numbing the painful area. Orajel Maximum Strength is a topical gel that is applied directly to the source of your toothache. Its quick acting formula will get to work in seconds. Traditional systemic painkillers can take up to 30 minutes to take effect, which doesn’t compare to the rapid relief provided by Orajel. The effects of this easy to apply gel will last for several hours.
Local anesthetics like benzocaine, work by temporarily blocking the pain pathways along the nerves. This prevents the brain from receiving the pain triggering signals.
Dental pulp is the middle layer of the tooth that contains the nerves and blood vessels. When this layer becomes inflamed, irritated or exposed toothache can occur. This exposure can be caused by a number of factors, such as:
- Tooth decay
- Tooth fractures
- Receding gums
Loose fillings Toothache can present in several different ways. For example:
- Sharp, throbbing or consistent pain
- Pain that only occurs when pressure is applied
- Painful and swollen gums
- A bad taste in the mouth, which is usually caused by an infected tooth
A local anaesthetic, such as Benzocaine will numb the affected area, providing instant relief form pain. Take extra care not to burn yourself whilst your mouth is numb.
Adults, including the elderly and children 2 years and over:
- Using a swab or a clean finger, apply the gel to the affected area.
- Use only a tiny amount of the gel about the dimension of a green pea.
- Apply the gel up to 4 times every day.
- Avoid applying this gel for more than 7 days at a time.
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take medication, however if you do they can include:
Hypersensitivity reactions (burning, stinging, pruritis, erythema, rash and edema), contact dermatitis and methaemoglobinaemia.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- Keep out of sight and out of reach of children.
- Avoid using more than the recommended dosage.
- Avoid applying this gel for more than 4 days at a time.
- Avoid use of this gel if you are sensitive to any of the ingredients, or if you are taking antibiotics, or if you are expectant or breast feeding.
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
The active ingredients contained in this medicine is/are:
Benzocaine 20% w/w.
The medicine also contains the following inactive ingredients to make up the complete product:
Sodium Saccharin (E954), Polyethylene Glycol, Clove Oil, Spearmint Flavour and Sorbic Acid (E200).