Lamisil AT 1% gel is an ideal treatment for long lasting protection against the symptoms associated with athlete's foot. Lamisil AT gel contains 1% of an active ingredient known as terbinafine and can be used to treat other fungal infections such as ringworm and jock itch.
Lamisil AT gel provides excellent symptomatic relief from fungal infections such as athlete's foot. It is able to work quickly, killing the fungi which are the root cause of the infection, as well as preventing against future outbreaks and reinfection.
Lamisil AT gel contains an active ingredient known as terbinafine hydrochloride (1%) which is used to treat fungal skin infections. It works by attacking the membranes within the cells of the fungus, causing them to break down and lose the vital chemicals that keep them alive. Over time this destroys the fungi, and ultimately kills the infection.
If instructions are followed correctly, a treatment of Lamisil should be completed within a week. It should be noted however that it could take up to a month for the skin to heal, depending on just how severe the infection was.
Athlete's foot is an unpleasant condition that can occur between the toes and around the sides and bottom of the feet. Some of the symptoms associated with athlete's foot include:
- Redness of the skin
- Painful cracking of the skin
- An itching sensation on the skin
- A burning sensation on the skin
Jock itch is a condition that occurs around the genitals and can also spread to the thighs. Symptoms can include:
- Ring-shaped patches which tend to form complete rings with raised borders.
Lamisil AT gel is also an effective treatment for ringworm present on the body, legs arms, neck and head (but not the face). Ringworm can be identified by a patch of sharp-edged red skin, accompanied by dry and scaly patches surrounding the outside.
Lamisil AT gel should not be used as a preventative measure. However, if you have successfully used Lamisil to treat your fungal conditions before, it can be used to prevent the infection from returning, as long as you keep the area clean and dry.
It is important to bear in mind that Lamisil is not suitable for all kinds of fungal infection. It should not be used for:
- Thrush - any itchiness, redness, or discharge associated with a fungal infection of the genitals.
- Oral thrush - an infection of the mouth by candida fungus.
- Fungal nail infections - similar to athlete's foot, but causes nails to become thick, brittle, and discoloured.
- Ptyriasis Versicolor on the scalp - this is a kind of yeast infection.
- Candidal sweat rash - includes itchiness, increased swelling or the arms, shoulders, legs etc. depending on the localisation of the rash.
There are other treatments that are specifically designed for sweat rash such as hydrocortisone creams.