Lamisil AT 1% gel is an ideal treatment for long lasting protection against the symptoms associated with athlete's foot. Lamisil AT gel contains 1% of an active ingredient known as terbinafine and can be used to treat other fungal infections such as ringworm and jock itch.
Lamisil AT gel provides excellent symptomatic relief from fungal infections such as athlete's foot. It is able to work quickly, killing the fungi which are the root cause of the infection, as well as preventing against future outbreaks and reinfection.
Lamisil AT gel contains an active ingredient known as terbinafine hydrochloride (1%) which is used to treat fungal skin infections. It works by attacking the membranes within the cells of the fungus, causing them to break down and lose the vital chemicals that keep them alive. Over time this destroys the fungi, and ultimately kills the infection.
If instructions are followed correctly, a treatment of Lamisil should be completed within a week. It should be noted however that it could take up to a month for the skin to heal, depending on just how severe the infection was.
Athlete's foot is an unpleasant condition that can occur between the toes and around the sides and bottom of the feet. Some of the symptoms associated with athlete's foot include:
- Redness of the skin
- Painful cracking of the skin
- An itching sensation on the skin
- A burning sensation on the skin
Jock itch is a condition that occurs around the genitals and can also spread to the thighs. Symptoms can include:
- Ring-shaped patches which tend to form complete rings with raised borders.
Lamisil AT gel is also an effective treatment for ringworm present on the body, legs arms, neck and head (but not the face). Ringworm can be identified by a patch of sharp-edged red skin, accompanied by dry and scaly patches surrounding the outside.
Lamisil AT gel should not be used as a preventative measure. However, if you have successfully used Lamisil to treat your fungal conditions before, it can be used to prevent the infection from returning, as long as you keep the area clean and dry.
It is important to bear in mind that Lamisil is not suitable for all kinds of fungal infection. It should not be used for:
- Thrush - any itchiness, redness, or discharge associated with a fungal infection of the genitals.
- Oral thrush - an infection of the mouth by candida fungus.
- Fungal nail infections - similar to athlete's foot, but causes nails to become thick, brittle, and discoloured.
- Ptyriasis Versicolor on the scalp - this is a kind of yeast infection.
- Candidal sweat rash - includes itchiness, increased swelling or the arms, shoulders, legs etc. depending on the localisation of the rash.
There are other treatments that are specifically designed for sweat rash such as hydrocortisone creams.
Adults, including the elderly and children 16 years and over:
- Apply thinly once daily for one week.
- The affected area should be cleaned and dried thoroughly before application.
- The gel should be applied to the affected skin and surrounding areaas a thin layer and rubbed in lightly.
- Irregular use or premature discontinuation of treatment carries the risk of recurrence.
- If there are no signs of improvement after two weeks, you should seek medical advice.
Before any topical application, always clean and dry the afflicted area thoroughly and wash your hands. Squeeze a small amount of cream from the tube and apply a thin layer to the affected area and surrounding skin. Gently rub in the cream and then wash your hands thoroughly.
If you are applying Lamisil gel between the buttocks, toes, or groin, you can cover the area with a gauze strip. If you do this, makes sure to use a fresh and clean strip with each application.
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take medication, however if you do they can include:
Skin exfoliation, itching at site of application, dry skin.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- Not recommended for use in children under 16 years of age, in pregnancy or breastfeeding, or in hypersensitivity to ingredients.
- Lamisil is for external use only.
- Do not use Lamisil on nails or scalp, in or near the mouth or the eyes or for vaginal yeast infections.
- When using this product do not get into the eyes.
- If eye contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Stop use and ask a doctor if too much irritation occurs or if symptoms get worse.
- Keep out of reach of children.
- If swallowed, get medical help or contact a poison control centre right away.
- Do not use if Lamisil seal on tube is broken or is not visible.
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
The active ingredients contained in this medicine is/are:
The medicine also contains the following inactive ingredients to make up the complete product:
water, ethanol, isopropyl myristate, polysorbate 20, carbomer 974P, sorbitan laurate, benzyl alcohol, sodium hydroxide, butylated hydroxytoluene.