- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
About Pholcodine Linctus
If you have a dry, tickly, irritating cough then try using Pholcodine Linctus. It will provide symptomatic, soothing relief from this unproductive cough.
Pholcodine Linctus information
What is Pholcodine Linctus and what is it used for?
Pholcodine Linctus works well on an irritating, dry and tickly cough, by providing soothing relief. As a cough suppressant, it stops the urge to cough and also relieves chest irritation. Pholcodine is the active ingredient and is related to other opioids such as codeine or morphine.
Pholcodine Linctus is suitable for adults and children over the age of 16 years to soothe dry, irritating coughs. It should be taken as directed for a maximum of 5 days. If you are experiencing any kind of illness that is causing you to cough you must drink plenty of water to remain hydrated. If you are experiencing pain or a fever alongside your cough it is safe to take pain killers such as paracetamol or ibuprofen alongside Pholcodine.
How does Pholcodine Linctus work?
This medication works by clearing mucus, dust particles and bacteria from both throat and lungs, the presence of which irritate the airways and make breathing more difficult. However, there are times when there is no mucus present, and no phlegm released, resulting in an unproductive cough, accompanied by pain and frustration. In these cases, pholcodine works by decreasing the nerve signals to the brain, which reduces the sensation of needing to cough.
Alternatives to Pholcodine Linctus
Experiencing coughs and colds at any time of the year is incredibly common with children sometimes experiencing colds up to 8 times a year. There is therefore plenty of choices when it comes to treating an irritating cough and it is often down to personal preference as to what treatment you prefer. Often cold and flu treatments also contain decongestants and painkillers so it is important to read the product descriptions of each treatment carefully.
Examples of alternative treatments include:
If you have been taking any cold and flu treatment for 5 days and have not noticed an improvement to your cough or your condition has worsened you should speak to a doctor for advice.
Pholcodine Linctus warnings
Do not take Pholcodine Linctus if any of the following apply to you:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients
- You have liver disease.
- You have breathing problems, chronic bronchitis, COPD or an obstruction in your lungs
- You have taken/given any other cough and cold medicine
Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before taking this medication if any of the following apply to you:
- You have asthma
- You have kidney or liver problems
- You have a persistent cough or a cough with excessive secretions
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding
Pholcodine Linctus and other medicines
Pholcodine should not be used at the same time as taking any other medicines for coughs or colds, as they could contain the same active ingredients and lead to you exceeding the daily recommendation. Also, cough expectorants can produce an opposite reaction and so advice should always be taken from your doctor or a pharmacist.
Other medicines containing the same active ingredient include:
- Benylin for children's dry coughs
- Covonia, a dry cough sugar-free formula
- Boots own dry cough syrup, for children of 6 years and older
- Pholcodine paediatric linctus.
- Pholcodine strong linctus.
Pholcodine should not be taken by people who are already taking the following medication:
- monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressants e.g. phenelzine, isocarboxazid or tranylcypromine, or anyone who has taken any of these in the last 14 days.
Pholcodine Linctus and driving
Pholcodine can cause drowsiness and so it is not recommended that you drive or operate heavy machinery until you are aware of how this medicine might affect you. Drowsiness can be exacerbated if taken alongside:
- Sleeping pills e.g. zopiclone
- Sedating antihistamines e.g. chlorphenamine, promethazine, diphenhydramine, triprolidine (these can be found in non-prescription cough, cold and hay fever remedies)
- Benzodiazepines, e.g. temazepam, diazepam
- Strong opioid painkillers e.g. dihydrocodeine, codeine, morphine
- Tricyclic antidepressants e.g. amitriptyline.
Please read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly for full details on warnings and precautions associated with this treatment.
Pholcodine Linctus dosage
Adults and children over 12 years: Take 10mls up to 6 times in 24 hours.
Children 6 -12 years: Take 5mls up to 4 times in 24 hours. Do not take for more than 5 consecutive days.
Elderly: Ask a doctor or pharmacist for advice regarding a reduced dose.
Pholcodine Linctus ingredients
The active ingredient in this medication is: Pholcodine 5mg/5ml
Also contains amongst other ingredients: citric acid monohydrate, saccharin sodium, propylene glycol, sodium benzoate (E211), carboxymethylcellulose, sunset yellow (E110 ), sorbitol (E420) and purified water.
Pholcodine Linctus side effects
Like other medications, Pholcodine Linctus may cause some people to experience side effects. Most commonly these include:
- nausea, vomiting, constipation
- drowsiness, dizziness
- skin reactions including rashes
- slow or shallow breathing
- difficulty in coughing up mucus or saliva
- excitation, confusion
If you are concerned about any side effects you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible for advice.