- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
|Type of medicine||Topical corticosteroid|
|Works by||Reducing the production of inflammatory chemicals|
|Active ingredient||Betamethasone valerate|
|Effective within||24 hours|
|Use with alcohol||No known effects|
Betnovate Lotion - Important Information
What is Betnovate Lotion and what is it used for?
Betnovate contains a medicine called betamethasone valerate. It belongs to a group of medicines called steroids that reduce swelling and irritation. Betnovate Lotion is used to help reduce the redness and itchiness of certain skin problems, such as eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis.
Betnovate Lotion is an alternative option to Betnovate Cream and Ointment.
How does Betnovate Lotion work?
Betnovate has 3 active modes of action:
- Anti-Inflammatory Action: Betnovate Lotion exerts its primary therapeutic effect by reducing inflammation in the skin.
- Immune System Modulation: Betamethasone also has an immunosuppressive effect. It inhibits the activity of certain immune cells, such as T cells and macrophages, that play a role in the inflammatory response. This helps reduce the immune system's overreactivity in the affected area, which is often seen in skin disorders like psoriasis and eczema.
- Symptom Relief: By reducing inflammation and immune system activity, Betnovate Lotion helps alleviate the symptoms associated with skin conditions, including redness, itching, swelling, and discomfort. This can provide relief and improve the appearance and comfort of the skin.
Advantages Betnovate Lotion
The precise choice of topical steroid preparation is down mainly to personal preference. There are 6 key features of Betnovate lotion that make it an ideal treatment compared to creams and ointments.
- Ease of Application: Betnovate Lotion is a liquid formulation that can be applied easily to the affected area of the skin. It is especially useful for covering larger areas of the body or for application to the scalp.
- Non-Greasy: Lotion formulations are generally less greasy compared to ointments, which can be important for patients who prefer a less oily or sticky texture on their skin.
- Fast Absorption: Lotions are usually absorbed quickly into the skin, making them a good choice for people who prefer a lighter and less occlusive formulation.
- Suitable for Hair-Bearing Areas: Betnovate Lotion is often prescribed for conditions affecting the scalp or other hair-bearing areas due to its liquid consistency, which allows for easy and even distribution on the skin and through the hair.
- Less Staining: Compared to creams or ointments, lotions like Betnovate are less likely to leave stains on clothing or bedding.
- Cooling Sensation: Some patients find that lotion formulations can provide a soothing and cooling sensation when applied to the skin, which can be beneficial for certain skin conditions with itching or discomfort.
How to use Betnovate Lotion
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Using this medicine
- You usually apply Betnovate once or twice a day. This may be reduced as your skin begins to get better.
- This lotion is for use on your skin only.
- Do not use more than the amount prescribed for you.
- Do not use it on large areas of the body for a long time (such as every day for many weeks or months) - unless your doctor tells you to.
- The germs that cause infections like warm, moist conditions under bandages or dressings so always clean the skin before a fresh dressing is put on.
- If you are applying the lotion on someone else make sure you wash your hands after use or wear disposable plastic gloves.
- If your skin problem does not improve in 2 to 4 weeks, talk to your doctor.
- This product is flammable. Keep the lotion away from open fire and flames and all sources of ignition including smoking during application and immediately after use.
Guidance on how to apply the lotion
- Wash your hands
- Gently rub a small amount of lotion into the skin until it has all disappeared
- Unless you are meant to apply the lotion to your hands as a part of the treatment, wash them again after using the lotion
Betnovate Lotion ingredients
Betnovate Lotion Application contains the active ingredient: betamethasone valerate 0.122%.
It also contains the following inactive ingredients:
- Methyl Hydroxybenzoate
- Xanthan Gum
- Cetostearyl Alcohol
- Liquid Paraffin
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Macrogol cetostearyl ether
- Sodium citrate
- Citric Acid Monohydrate
- Purified Water
Betnovate Lotion side effects
Betnovate Lotion does not always cause side effects, however like all medicines they are possible. Side effects are normally associated with Betnovate Lotion being applied incorrectly or being used in higher doses or quantities than recommended.
The most common side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10 people) associated with Betnovate Lotion can include:
- Local skin burning
- Skin pain
Very rare side effects (may affect up to 1 in 10,000 people) can include
- An increased risk of infection
- An allergic skin reaction where the lotion is applied
- Rash, itchy bumpy skin or redness of the skin
- Thinning and dryness of your skin and it may also damage or wrinkle more easily
- Stretch marks may develop
- Blood vessels under the surface of your skin may become more noticeable
- An increase or reduction in hair growth or hair loss and changes in skin colour
- Weight gain, rounding of the face
- Bones can become thin, weak and break easily
- Cloudy lens in the eye (cataract) or increased pressure in eye (glaucoma)
- A decrease in the level of the hormone cortisol in your blood
- Increased blood sugar levels or sugar in the urine
- High blood pressure
If any of the above side effects become serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed here or in the accompanying Patient Information Leaflet, please consult your doctor or pharmacist.
Betnovate Lotion warnings
You should not use Betnovate Lotion Application:
- You have previously had an allergic reaction to another steroid
- You are applying the lotion under an airtight dressing, including a child’s nappy. These dressings make it easier for the active ingredient to pass through the skin. It is possible to accidentally end up using too much
- If you have psoriasis, your doctor will want to see you more often.
- Use for a chronic leg ulcer as you may be at increased risk of local allergic reaction or infection.
- You are applying to a large surface area
- You are applying the lotion on broken skin or within the skin folds
- You are applying near eyes or on eyelids, as cataracts or glaucoma may result if the lotion repeatedly enters the eye.
- You have an infection of the skin as this will need to be treated
- You are applying to thin skin such as the face or on children as their skin is thinner than adults and as a result, may absorb larger amounts
If you are not sure if any of the above apply to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist, or contact us, before using this medicine.
Betnovate Lotion in Pregnancy and breastfeeding
You should not purchase this medicine online if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. It is best to talk to your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant, might become pregnant or are breastfeeding.
Before using this treatment please ensure you have read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly.