- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free support and advice
- We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
Optilast (Azelastine) Allergy Eye Drops
Optilast is an antihistamine eye drop used to calm symptoms of allergies that affect the eyes. Helping to ease symptoms including itchy, watery, red and inflamed eyes caused by hayfever or as a reaction to other common allergies such as animals and house dust.
Get Optilast eye drops online today from The Independent Pharmacy with a prescription and get fast, convenient delivery directly to you at home.
What is Optilast and what is it used for?
Optilast eye drops are an antihistamine solution that provides quick relief from allergic conjunctivitis, the allergy symptoms which affect the eyes, caused by hayfever, animals or dust mites. Easing symptoms including inflammation, itching and watering eyes.
Optilast contains the active ingredient azelastine hydrochloride. They are manufactured by Mylan and are available in 8ml bottles. They can be used by adults and children over the age of 12 years.
How does Optilast work?
The eye contains a certain group of cells called mast cells. Mast cells are responsible for the eye’s immune response to foreign particles. They react to allergens by releasing substances called histamines, which causes the eyes to become watery and inflamed. The most common allergens are pollen, animal fur, and dust mites. Azelastine hydrochloride prevents these cells from releasing histamine, which reduces the associated inflammation.
Alternative to Optilast
There are an extremely large range of OTC (over the counter) products you can purchase in any pharmacy, these vary from tablets to nasal sprays and also eye drops. You should try these before moving onto a prescription-only medicine such as Optilast.
Alternatives OTC treatments include:
For a full list of treatments that are available from The Independent Pharmacy please take a look at our Hayfever Advice page.
Allergic conjunctivitis is a very common condition. There are a number of steps you can take to reduce your exposure to allergens:
- Keep windows closed in your house or car
- Clean your pets and clothes after they have been outside
- Avoid irritants such as cigarette smoke
- Avoid grassy areas
- Wear protection such as sunglasses when you need to be outside
- Vacuum and dust your house regularly
- Try to have a shower after a day almost straight away. This will remove any trapped pollen grains from your hair and or skin.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
Talk to your doctor if any of the following apply to you:
- your symptoms are localised in one eye
- you have impaired vision
- you are not suffering from allergy symptoms in the nose – this may indicate that you have an infection, not an allergy.
Talk to your GP if your symptoms do not improve within 48 hours of using Optilast.
Remove contact lenses prior to using Optilast. After using the drops, wait at least 15 minutes before you reinsert your lenses.
Please read all packaging and the Patient Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
For children and adults over the age of 12 years: Insert 1 eye drop in each eye in the morning and the evening for a maximum of 6 weeks.
- Wash your hands before use.
- Gently wipe around your eyes with a tissue to remove any moisture.
- Unscrew the top of the bottle and check that the dropper is clean.
- Gently pull your lower eyelid down.
- Carefully place the drop inside the middle of your lower eyelid.
- Release your lower eyelid and gently press on the inner corner of your eye against the bridge of your nose.
- Slowly blink your eyes a few times to spread the drop across the surface of your eye.
- Repeat this for your other eye.
For full details on how to use Optilast please refer to the Patient Information Leaflet.
The active ingredient contained in Optilast eye drops is: Azelastine hydrochloride 0.05% (0.5mg/ml).
Optilast also contains the following inactive ingredients: Benzalkonium chloride, disodium edetate, hypromellose, liquid sorbitol (crystallising) (E420i), sodium hydroxide (E524).
Optilast side effects
Not everyone will experience side effects when they use Optilast eye drops. However, if you do, they can include:
- Stinging in the eyes or blurred vision. This should go away a few moments after using the drops.
- A bitter taste in the mouth.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.