What is Benacort Nasal Spray?
Are you suffering from an itchy, runny, blocked nose as a result of hayfever? Benacort Nasal Spray is a steroidal treatment containing Budesonide that when used daily helps to prevent and relieve nasal symptoms of hayfever (allergic rhinitis).
Benacort Nasal Spray is manufactured by Johnson and Johnson and is available as either a 60 or 120 spray bottle. It can be used once or twice a day for up to one month, by adults over the age of 18 years including the elderly.
What is Benacort Nasal Spray used for?
Benacort Nasal Spray offers effective prevention and relief from symptoms of pollen allergies or hay fever that specifically affect the nose. These symptoms include:
- Itchy nose, the roof of the mouth or throat
- Running nose
- Nasal congestion
When used daily, Benacort Nasal Spray provides lasting, continuous relief, leaving you feeling comfortable, throughout the day and night.
How does Benacort Nasal Spray work?
Hay fever causes irritation, inflammation and excess mucus in the nose, which is what causes congestion, itching, sneezing and running of the nose. Each spray of Benacort contains a measured dose of the corticosteroid Budesonide. It helps ease symptoms of hay fever by reversing these effects, improving the swelling and reducing mucus production.
How quickly does Benacort Nasal Spray work?
It can take up to a couple of days before the full effects of Benacort Nasal Spray can be felt, but with regular use, the relief this medicine offers is significant and long-lasting.
If you do not feel Benacort Nasal Spray is providing you with adequate relief within 7 days you should discuss this with a doctor or pharmacist. You should not use this medication continuously for longer than 1 month.
Alternatives to Benacort Nasal Spray
At The Independent Pharmacy, we offer a range of hay fever and allergy treatments. This includes alternative corticosteroid and antihistamine nasal sprays, antihistamine tablets, liquid solution and eye drops designed to relieve hay fever symptoms that affect the eyes and nose as well as the rest of the body.
Our range of treatments includes both over the counter medicines and those that can be purchased with a prescription. Examples of alternative hay fever treatments include:
Antihistamine Tablets and liquid solutions
- Beclomethasone Spray - over the counter corticosteroid nasal spray.
- Pirinase Spray - (fluticasone propionate) over the counter corticosteroid nasal spray.
- Avamys Spray - (fluticasone furoate) prescription only, corticosteroid nasal spray.
- Dymista Spray - (azelastine hydrochloride & fluticasone propionate) prescription only, combined antihistamine and corticosteroid nasal spray.
- Rhinolast Spray - (azelastine hydrochloride) prescription-only antihistamine nasal spray.
- Opticrom Drops - (sodium cromoglycate) over the counter anti-inflammatory/anti-allergen drops.
- Optilast Drops - (azelastine hydrochloride) prescription only, antihistamine eye drops.