- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
Benacort Hay Fever Nasal Spray
Benacort Nasal Spray is a highly effective steroidal nasal spray that is suitable for adults over the age of 18 years to prevent and suppress sneezing, nasal congestion and an itchy, runny nose caused by hayfever.
Benacort can be purchased online from The Independent Pharmacy as an over-the-counter treatment for hay fever. Buy today and get fast, convenient delivery.
What is Benacort Nasal Spray?
Are you suffering from an itchy, runny, blocked nose as a result of hayfever? Benacort Nasal Spray is a steroidal treatment containing Budesonide that when used daily helps to prevent and relieve nasal symptoms of hayfever (allergic rhinitis).
Benacort Nasal Spray is manufactured by Johnson and Johnson and is available as either a 60 or 120-spray bottle. It can be used once or twice a day for up to one month, by adults over the age of 18 years including the elderly.
What is Benacort Nasal Spray used for?
Benacort Nasal Spray offers effective prevention and relief from symptoms of pollen allergies or hay fever that specifically affect the nose. These symptoms include:
- Itchy nose, the roof of the mouth or throat
- Running nose
- Nasal congestion
When used daily, Benacort Nasal Spray provides lasting, continuous relief, leaving you feeling comfortable, throughout the day and night.
How does Benacort Nasal Spray work?
Hay fever causes irritation, inflammation and excess mucus in the nose, which is what causes congestion, itching, sneezing and running of the nose. Each spray of Benacort contains a measured dose of the corticosteroid Budesonide. It helps ease symptoms of hay fever by reversing these effects, improving the swelling and reducing mucus production.
How quickly does Benacort Nasal Spray work?
It can take up to a couple of days before the full effects of Benacort Nasal Spray can be felt, but with regular use, the relief this medicine offers is significant and long-lasting.
If you do not feel Benacort Nasal Spray is providing you with adequate relief within 7 days you should discuss this with a doctor or pharmacist. You should not use this medication continuously for longer than 1 month.
Alternatives to Benacort Nasal Spray
At The Independent Pharmacy, we offer a range of hay fever and allergy treatments. This includes an alternative corticosteroid and antihistamine nasal sprays, antihistamine tablets, liquid solutions and eye drops designed to relieve hay fever symptoms that affect the eyes and nose as well as the rest of the body.
Our range of treatments includes both over-the-counter medicines and those that can be purchased with a prescription. Examples of alternative hay fever treatments include:
Antihistamine Tablets and liquid solutions
- Cetirizine Tablets and Solution - over-the-counter, non-drowsy. For children and adults from 2 years.
- Chlorphenamine Tablets and Solution - over the counter.
- Loratadine Tablets - over-the-counter, non-drowsy. For children and adults over 12 years.
- Xyzal Tablets - (levocetirizine) prescription only.
- Desloratadine Tablets - prescription only.
- Telfast Tablets - (fexofenadine) prescription only.
- Beclomethasone Spray - over-the-counter corticosteroid nasal spray.
- Pirinase Spray - (fluticasone propionate) over the counter corticosteroid nasal spray.
- Avamys Spray - (fluticasone furoate) prescription only, corticosteroid nasal spray.
- Dymista Spray - (azelastine hydrochloride & fluticasone propionate) prescription only, combined antihistamine and corticosteroid nasal spray.
- Rhinolast Spray - (azelastine hydrochloride) prescription-only antihistamine nasal spray.
- Opticrom Drops - (sodium cromoglycate) over-the-counter anti-inflammatory/anti-allergen drops.
- Optilast Drops - (azelastine hydrochloride) prescription only, antihistamine eye drops.
- Benacort Nasal Spray Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.10205.pdf
Benacort Nasal Spray warnings
Please read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly before using Benacort Nasal Spray.
Do not use Benacort Nasal Spray if:
- You are allergic to any of its ingredients
- You are under 18 years of age
Speak with your doctor or pharmacist before using Benacort Nasal Spray if any of the following apply:
- You have an infection or ulcers in your nose
- You have recently had surgery or suffered an injury to your nose
- Have tuberculosis or a chest infection
- Are currently taking any antifungal medicines (e.g. ketoconazole, itraconazole)
- Are taking any steroid tablets, including contraceptives
- Are taking oestrogen
- If your symptoms have not improved after 14 days of treatment
Speak with your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have taken, or are intending to take any other medicines. Particularly, corticosteroid medicines, which include asthma inhalers, eczema creams, nasal sprays, injections, tablets, and eye/nose drops.
Do not use Benacort Nasal Spray for longer than 3 months.
Benacort Nasal Spray in pregnancy & breastfeeding
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before taking this medicine.
If you get pregnant while using this nasal spray, talk to your doctor or pharmacist straight away.
How to use Benacort Nasal Spray
Using the nasal spray once a day: The recommended dose is two sprays into each nostril in the morning. If your symptoms improve, reduce this to one spray into each nostril in the morning.
Using the nasal spray twice a day: If you prefer, you can use one spray into each nostril every morning and evening. If your symptoms improve, reduce this to one spray into each nostril in the morning.
Do not use more than two sprays into each nostril in a day. Do not use it continuously for more than 1 month.
To use the spray, please follow the directions below. You can find more information in the Patient Information Leaflet.
- Blow your nose. Shake the bottle. Remove the protective cap
- Hold the bottle upright with a finger on either side of the applicator nozzle
- Put the tip of the nozzle into your nostril. Direct the nozzle to the side of the nose, and away from the middle of the nose (the ‘nasal septum’). Spray once (or twice if using the nasal spray once a day). Use the spray in the other nostril in the same way. Note, you do not need to breathe in at the same time as you spray
- Wipe the nozzle with a clean tissue and replace the protective cap. Store the bottle in an upright position
Benacort Nasal Spray ingredients
Active ingredient: budesonide. This nasal spray contains 64 micrograms of budesonide in each spray.
Inactive ingredients: disodium edetate, potassium sorbate (E202), glucose (anhydrous), microcrystalline cellulose (E460), carboxymethylcellulose sodium (E466), polysorbate 80 (E433), hydrochloric acid and purified water.
Benacort Nasal Spray side effects
The most commonly experienced side effects when using benacort Nasal Spray are:
- Irritation of the nose or throat
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
If you experience visual disturbance or any signs of an infection (such as a persistent fever) while using Benacort, you should consult your GP or pharmacist: