Hedrin 4% Lotion Spray is the easy way to eradicate head lice. It is the only licensed, physically acting head lice treatment in the UK and it is available over-the-counter from your pharmacy. The spray is pre-mixed for instant use and is a contactless way to apply the lotion. It is gentle on skin, odourless and contains no organophosphates.
Simply apply Hedrin onto dry hair, ensuring that that the surface area is fully covered and the hair completely saturated. Work the medication through with a comb, spreading the liquid from root to tip.
Leave the lotion on the hair overnight and wash it as usual the next day. Repeat the process 7 days later to complete the treatment.
Hedrin is pesticide-free unlike conventional head lice treatments. Its active ingredient, Dimethicone, encapsulates the lice and prevents them from moving, feeding and regulating their water levels. This kills lice but not the eggs. For this reason, the procedure needs to be repeated in 7 days.
Head lice have a unique system of water management. They eliminate excess fluid via tiny passages in their exoskeleton called spiracles.
The active ingredient dimeticone, a silicone oil, disrupts this process by coating the lice. This blocks the spiracles, preventing them from removing excess water. As a result, any lice that have recently fed die from gut rupture and the ones that haven’t, die of starvation.
All products in the Hedrin range may be used during pregnancy* and on children as young as six months. Additionally, Hedrin products do not contain solvents and are therefore safe for asthma sufferers.
Head lice cannot build up resistance against Hedrin products
Keep treated hair away from fire, especially naked flames and burning cigarettes it can readily catch fire. Take care if you accidentally spill Hedrin as it may cause a slip hazard.
Hedrin 4% Lotion and Hedrin Once: dimeticone and cyclomethicone are safe to use on bleached or coloured hair. However avoid using Hedrin 4% Lotion or Hedrin Once before colouring or bleaching as they may prevent the colour from taking to the hair. Hedrin Treat & Go is water-based and can be used both before and after colour treatments.
Once the lice are killed they should wash or comb out of the hair - a combing regime isn't necessary. You can remove the empty egg cases or nits with your fingers or a fine toothed comb. Egg loosening lotion can be used to help with remove
A little Hedrin goes a long way. The amount you need will depend entirely upon the length of your hair. A 50ml bottle should provide a two-dose treatment of short hair. Longer hair will require more product.
Wash and condition your hair to make it easier to go through with a nit comb. Conditioner also makes more difficult for the lice to grip the hair, making it easier to comb them out.
Adults, including the elderly and children 6 months old and over:
- Using a towel, cover your shoulders.
- Avoid breathing the spray or spraying it into the eyes and face.
- Cover the dry hair with lotion uniformly and evenly.
- Make sure that the hair is saturated and that the scalp and hair are fully covered with the lotion.
- Spread the lotion uniformly from the roots to the hair tips by working into the hair using an ordinary comb or your fingers.
- Leave the hair to dry normally.
- Leave the solution on your hair overnight or for at least eight hours.
- Cleanse the hair with usual shampoo, rinse thoroughly using water and towel dry.
- It is recommended to apply Hedrin again after 7 days to get rid of any untreated eggs likely to hatch within that time period. There is the high likelihood of lice infestation occurring again, if you fail to repeat the process as recommended.
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take medication, however if you do they can include:
Discontinue using this product if you get skin rash or other allergic reactions occur.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- This solution is used externally, specifically on the hair and scalp.
- Avoid using this lotion if you are sensitive to the ingredients.
- Children aged less than 6 months should use this product only under medical supervision.
- If you accidentally contact the eyes with this lotion, rinse with water.
- Hedrin lotion might cause a slip hazard; therefore, take care to avoid accidental spills.
- Keep out of sight and out of reach of children.
- Store the spray inside the carton.
- After use, recycle the empty pack.
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
The active ingredients contained in this medicine is/are:
The medicine also contains the following inactive ingredients to make up the complete product: