- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free support and advice
- We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
Dovobet - Prescription Psoriasis Treatment
Dovobet Gel and Ointment contain a powerful corticosteroid to help adults treat flare-ups of mild to moderate psoriasis affecting the skin, including the scalp. Applying Dovobet once a day can ease irritation and inflammation and reduce dry, flaky skin.
If you are over 18 years and have a previous prescription of Dovobet from your GP to treat psoriasis why not buy your treatment online from The Independent Pharmacy. Get your prescription delivered to your door by completing a short online consultation for our medical team.
What is Dovobet and what is it used for?
At The Independent Pharmacy you can buy both Dovobet gel and ointment. Both products contain the active ingredients calcipotriol and betamethasone to soothe and reduce dry, flaky skin caused by mild to moderate psoriasis.
Dovobet gel has been specifically designed to treat scalp psoriasis in adults but like the ointment can also be used to treat plaque psoriasis on other areas of the body.
What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a condition that causes red, flaky, crusty patches to develop on the skin. The patches can vary from person to person but most commonly affect the elbows, knees, scalp and lower back.
Psoriasis is caused by an overproduction of skin cells, that instead of being made and replaced every 3 to 4 weeks, in psoriasis this happens every 3 to 7 days. This process results in a build-up of skin cells.
There is currently no cure for psoriasis, but there are a range of treatments that can improve symptoms and the appearance of skin patches, including treatments such as Dovobet.
How does Dovobet work?
Dovobet contains two active ingredients. Calcipotriol, which is a form of vitamin D that when applied to the skin reduces the rate in which skin cells are produced reducing the patches of psoriasis.
It also contains a corticosteroid called betamethasone which eases the irritation caused by psoriasis by reducing inflammation and the itching sensation. Most people will notice a visible improvement to their skin within 2 weeks.
- Dovobet Gel Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5690/pil
- Dovobet Ointment Product Ointment: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1609/pil
Before using Dovobet you should make sure you have read and understood the entire content of the Patient Information Leaflet.
- Dovobet contains betamethasone which is a steroid and should not be applied to skin that is infected by bacteria, viruses, parasites or fungus.
- Dovobet should not be applied to any broken skin or ulcers as well as skin conditions such as acne or rosacea.
- If you have erythrodermic, exfoliative, pustular or guttate psoriasis you should speak to a doctor before using Dovobet.
- Try to avoid exposing skin to large amounts of sunlight or UV light when using Dovobet.
- Do not smoke or exposure yourself to naked flames when using Dovobet as it may be flammable. You should also increase the frequency of washing clothing and bedding that come into contact with your skin as Dovobet can build up within them.
- If you are taking or using any other medicine prescribed or non-prescribed please speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using Dovobet.
Dovobet & pregnancy
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, think you may be pregnant or are planning to have a baby, ask your doctor for guidance before using this medicine. If your doctor has agreed that you can breastfeed, do not apply Dovobet to the breasts.
How to use Dovobet
Dovobet should only be applied directly to the skin that is affected by psoriasis. It can be used by adults over the age of 18 years.
You will need to apply either Dovobet gel or ointment once a day. Initial treatment will be between 4-8 weeks depending on the areas affected.
Please read the Patient Information Leaflet before starting treatment with either product.
How to apply to the skin on the body using Dovobet Gel or Ointment
- Shake the bottle before use and remove the cap, on the ointment check the seal is broken.
- Squeeze out onto a clean finger.
- Apply to the affected area with your fingertips, rub it in gently until the area affected is covered by a thin layer of gel or the ointment has disappeared. Do not bandage or wrap the treated skin area.
- Wash your hands well after using Dovobet but do not take a shower or bath immediately after application.
How to apply to the scalp using Dovobet Gel
Do not apply Dovobet ointment to the scalp or the face.
- Shake the bottle well and before applying, comb the hair to remove any loose scales.
- Tilt your head to make sure the gel does not run onto your face.
- Apply a drop of gel to the fingertip and rub it in gently to the affected areas of the scalp.
- Do not wash the hair immediately after applying. It may be better to apply it at night so it can be left on the scalp overnight.
- When washing your hair the following day you may want to leave the shampoo for a couple of minutes before rinsing.
Both Dovobet gel and ointment contain the active ingredients: Each 1 gram contains 50 micrograms of calcipotriol and 0.5 mg of betamethasone.
Both Dovobet gel and ointment also contain the inactive ingredients: liquid paraffin, polyoxypropylene stearyl ether, hydrogenated castor oil, butylhydroxytoluene (E321), all-rac-α-tocopherol.
Dovobet ointment also contains the inactive ingredient: Soft white paraffin
Dovobet side effects
Some people may experience side effects when using Dovobet gel or ointment. They will normally resolve once treatment is stopped. If you do not notice an improvement to your symptoms or you are concerned you should speak to a pharmacist or doctor for advice.
The most common side effects are:
- Inflammation or irritation of the skin
- Dry skin
Although it is uncommon some people may experience severe side effects such as cataracts or infections. Some people may also experience an allergic reaction. In these circumstances you must seek immediate medical attention either by calling 999 or by attending your nearest emergency department.
Please take time to read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly before using Dovobet.