As a treatment for rosacea in adults, Erythromycin 250mg tablets can be bought online. Usually prescribed when a topical treatment has not cleared the condition, erythromycin kills the bacteria responsible for causing rosacea. This medication is a macrolide antibiotic and not related to penicillin and is usually prescribed to people who cannot take tetracycline antibiotics, including doxycycline, oxytetracycline and efacea. You can also approach The Independent Pharmacy for advice, where an online doctor may offer you prescription-strength medication to treat the condition.
This medication is prescribed as a six week course, during which time you take two 250mg tablets with fluid twice a day and before or after eating. Even if the skin seems to have cleared up, it is important that you complete the full course. It can take a few weeks before there are signs of improvement but, if it hasn’t cleared up by the end of the full course, another six week course will be prescribed. If, after twelve weeks, the condition prevails, Mirvaso or Rozex can be tried. If still no success, take advice from your doctor.
If you are allergic to macrolide antibiotics, erythromycin or any of the ingredients contained in this medication, may prove unsuitable to you.
If the patient has myasthenia gravis (a condition which causes muscles to become weak), liver problems, is pregnant, or is a breastfeeding mother, these tablets may not be prescribed.
This medication may prove unsuitable if your are taking tolterodine, mizolastine, simvastatin, terfenadine, amusulpride, ergotamine, or any blood thinners (anticoagulants) and other medications, so always consult your doctor.
Take TWO tablets TWICE daily for 6 - 12 weeks.
Erythromycin can be taken with or without food.
If you forget to take a dose take it as soon as you remember, unless it is nearly time for your next dose. In this case leave out the missed dose and just take your next dose as usual. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose.
All medicines have the potential to cause side effects however most people will not experience any of the following:
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Abdominal pain.
- Allergic skin reactions, such as rashes, hives or itching.
- Disturbances of liver function.
- Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis).
- Yellowing of the skin and eyes (jaundice).
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
- Reversible hearing loss (usually only after large doses).
- Abnormal heart beats (arrhythmias).
- Inflammation of the large intestine (colitis).
If you do experience any of these unwanted side effects you should speak to your doctor or contact us for advice.
Prolonged treatment with antibiotics can sometimes cause overgrowth of other micro-organisms and can result in vaginal thrush in some women.
Always fully read the patient information leaflet with your medicine before taking Erythromycin tablets.
Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, it is important that you finish the prescribed course of this erythromycin, even if your rosacea appears to have cleared up. Stopping the course early increases the chance that it will come back and that the bacteria will grow resistant to the antibiotic.
Broad-spectrum antibiotics, like erythromycin, can sometimes cause inflammation of the bowel (colitis). For this reason, if you get diarrhoea that becomes severe or persistent or contains blood or mucus, either during or after taking this medicine, you should consult your doctor immediately.
Erythromycin tablets should not be taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding unless under strict supervision by your doctor.
If you suffer with any of the following medical conditions you should not purchase Erythromycin online as they may not be safe to take:
- Decreased liver function.
- Severely decreased kidney function.
- Abnormal heart rhythm seen on a heart monitoring trace (ECG) as a 'prolonged QT interval', or people at risk of this (your doctor will know).
- Abnormal muscle weakness (myasthenia gravis).
- Hereditary blood disorders called porphyrias.
If you are taking any of the following medicines you should not buy Erythromycin tablets online as they may interact with your current medicines:
- Warfarin (thins the blood)
- Cisapride (used for stomach disorders)
- Pimozide (used in the treatment of psychiatric disorders)
- Clarithromycin (antibiotic used to treat certain infections)
- Ergotamine or dihydroergotamine (for migraine)
- Zopiclone (induces sleep)
- Theophylline (helps breathing)
- Lovastatin (blood cholesterol lowering drugs)
- Midazolam or Triazolam
Each tablet contains 250mg erythromycin as the active ingredient.
The other inactive ingredients are: Maize starch, Croscarmellose sodium Type A, Povidone, Talc, Magnesium stearate(E572), Hypromellose(E464), Macrogol 6000, Erythrosine(E127), Methacrylic acid ethylacrylate copolymer (1:1) and Polysorbate 80(E433).