- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
About Bactroban 2% Cream
What is Bactroban Cream?
Bactroban 2% Cream contains the active ingredient Mupirocin, an antibiotic used to treat skin infections caused by Staphylococci, Streptococci and E. coli bacteria, which include symptoms of impetigo, folliculitis and boils.
Bactroban is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline and is suitable for children and adults under the direction of a doctor or pharmacist. It is a topical cream meaning that it is applied externally to the affected areas of the skin.
What is Bactroban Cream used for?
Bactroban Cream is an antibiotic formula used to treat certain skin infections, most commonly impetigo, folliculitis and boils. Symptoms of these conditions include:
- Impetigo - crusty, blistered patches of skin that may be painful and itchy. Most commonly occurs on the face and hands and is very contagious.
- Folliculitis - inflammation of the hair follicles causing red or pus-filled bumps around the hairs. They may be itchy or painful.
- Recurrent boils - painful, hard lumps under the skin that are filled with pus. They may be itchy and can occur anywhere on the body.
If you are unsure whether you currently have a skin infection you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice. They will be able to recommend the best treatment options for you.
How does Bactroban Cream work?
Bactroban contains an antibiotic called mupirocin. When it is applied topically to the affected areas of the skin it prevents the spread of bacteria that causes conditions such as impetigo and folliculitis. When bacteria are unable to multiply and grow the infection is cleared from the skin relieving unpleasant symptoms.
How quickly does Bactroban Cream work?
Bactroban is usually prescribed for daily use for up to 10 days depending on your skin condition and the severity of the infection. You should notice a reduction in your symptoms within a few days. If you continue to have symptoms after you have finished your course of treatment you should speak to a doctor for advice. Do not use Bactroban for more than 10 days.
Alternatives to Bactroban Cream
There may be some people for who Bactroban Cream is not suitable. There are, therefore, alternative topical antibiotic treatments available that may be more suitable depending on what you’re using this treatment for.
- Fucidin cream (fusidic acid) is suitable for treating simple infected eczema or dermatitis.
- Fucidin H cream (fusidic acid & hydrocortisone) can be used to treat simple skin infections that may also be mildly red and inflamed.
- Fucibet cream (fusidic acid & betamethasone) is an effective and fast-acting prescription-only medicine, used where the skin is moderately inflamed alongside the infection.
If you’re unsure about whether a treatment is right for you, you can ask our medical team for impartial information and advice before you buy.
How to use Bactroban Cream
Bactroban is for external use only to treat infected skin. It should be used exactly as prescribed by a doctor or pharmacist. Do not mix Bactroban with any other external cream or ointment medicines on the infected area of your skin as this may reduce the effectiveness of Bactroban. Do not use it for more than 10 days.
- Wash and dry your hands before and after use.
- Apply Bactroban Cream to the infected area of your skin two to three times a day.
- You can cover the treated area with a plaster or suitable dressing unless your doctor has told you to leave it uncovered.
- Replace the cap on the tube and wash your hands.
Please read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly before use.
Bactroban Cream side effects
Like other medication, Bactroban can cause some people to experience side effects. If you develop any of the following symptoms you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice as soon as possible.
- Burning skin (common 1 in 10)
- Itchy, red, stinging or dry skin (uncommon 1 in 100)
- Raised bumps or a rash (uncommon 1 in 100)
- Swelling around the mouth and eyes (rare 1 in 10,000)
- Difficulty breathing (rare 1 in 10,000)
Bactroban Cream ingredients
The active ingredient in Bactroban is: Each gram contains 20 mg of mupirocin.
The other ingredients are: Xanthan gum, Liquid paraffin, Cetomacrogol 1000, Stearyl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl alcohol, Purified water.
Bactroban Cream warnings
- Do not use Bactroban if you are allergic to any of the ingredients.
- Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before use if: you have cracked or broken skin; you suffer from kidney problems or are using any other medication.
- Bactroban is not suitable for use inside the nose or eyes.
- You should not use Bactroban for longer than prescribed. Long-term use of this product can cause thrush (a yeast infection).
Bactroban in pregnancy & breastfeeding
Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.