- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
Dalacin Vaginal Cream Summary
|Type of medicine||Topical antibiotic|
|Works by||Stops the growth of bacteria that causes bacterial vaginosis in the vagina.|
|Active ingredient||Clindamycin phosphate|
|Effective within||3 - 7 days|
|Use with alcohol||No known issues|
Dalacin Vaginal Cream Information
What is Dalacin Vaginal Cream?
Dalacin BV Cream is inserted directly into the vagina to kill the bacteria that causes the unpleasant, fishy discharge associated with bacterial vaginosis (BV). After just 7 days of use, you should be completely infection- and odour-free and left feeling more comfortable, refreshed and confident.
- Fast and effective treatment for bacterial vaginosis (BV)
- Targets the bacteria at the source to quickly kill the infection
- Contains disposable applicators for easy and mess-free application
- One box represents a full 7-day course of treatment when used daily
- Contains the powerful antibiotic clindamycin phosphate as its active ingredient
What is Dalacin Vaginal Cream used for?
Dalacin Cream is used to treat bacterial vaginosis (BV), which is one of the most common causes of unusual vaginal discharge. Although around half of the women who have BV do not experience any symptoms, some will notice a grey-whitish or thin and watery discharge that has a particularly offensive, fishy odour that may become worse after sex.
Dalacin Cream is an effective treatment for BV and quickly clears the infection with daily applications. If you’re unsure whether you’re suffering from BV, you can purchase a vaginal infection self-test to confirm whether you have an infection and help you find the right treatment.
How does Dalacin Vaginal Cream work?
Dalacin Vaginal Cream contains clindamycin phosphate, which has powerful antibiotic properties. When inserted deep into the vagina, Dalacin targets the bacteria that cause bacterial vaginosis (BV) to quickly kill the infection at its source, leaving you to get on with your day.
How quickly does Dalacin Vaginal Cream work?
Depending on the severity of your BV symptoms, a 7-day course of Dalacin Cream should be sufficient to completely clear the infection. Each kit contains 40g vaginal cream and 7 applicators to enable you to complete a full 7-day course of treatment.
Alternatives to Dalacin Vaginal Cream
Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is a bacterial infection which is treated with antibiotics. Dalacin Cream contains clindamycin phosphate, a powerful antibiotic which targets the source of infection; however, metronidazole is another highly effective antibiotic used to treat BV.
At The Independent Pharmacy, our range of BV treatments includes Metronidazole Tablets (an oral antibiotic) and Zidoval Gel, which is a metronidazole gel inserted into the vagina that works similarly to Dalacin Cream. Metronidazole treatments may be more suitable for people who cannot use treatments containing clindamycin.
- Dalacin Vaginal Cream, Patient Information Leaflet: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/1080/pil
How to use Dalacin Vaginal Cream
Dalacin Cream is for vaginal use only, it should be used exactly as advised by a doctor or pharmacist. The normal dose is 1 applicator full, which is equal to 5 grams, at night for 7 days.
To apply Dalacin Cream:
- Wash your hands before and after use.
- Remove the cap from the tube and screw on a disposable plastic applicator.
- Squeezing the tube from the bottom, push the cream into the applicator.
- Once the plunger stops moving the applicator is full.
- Unscrew the applicator and replace the cap on the tube.
- Lie on your back and insert the applicator into the vagina as far up as is comfortable.
- Slowly push the plunger of the applicator until it stops and all the cream has been emptied.
- Remove the applicator and dispose of it in the bin immediately.
Please take the time to read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly before using this medicine.
Dalacin Vaginal Cream ingredients
The active substance in Dalacin cream is: clindamycin phosphate.
The other ingredients are: benzyl alcohol, sorbitan stearate, polysorbate 60, propylene glycol, stearic acid, cetostearyl alcohol, cetyl palmitate, liquid paraffin and water.
Dalacin Vaginal Cream side effects
Dalacin Cream may cause some people to develop side effects. If you experience severe bloody diarrhoea or an allergic reaction while using this treatment you should seek medical attention straight away.
The most common side effects associated with Dalacin Cream include:
- Inflammation of the cervix, vagina and vulva
- Vaginal thrush and other vaginal infections
- Stomach cramps
If you experience side effects that do not improve, you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice. For full details regarding side effects please read the Patient Information Leaflet.
Dalacin Vaginal Cream warnings
Before using Dalacin Cream, please consider the following warnings:
- You should not have sexual intercourse while using this treatment. If your sexual partner is female, they also may require treatment
- If you do have sexual intercourse during treatment, be aware that Dalacin can make condoms or diaphragms less effective, and therefore these should not be relied upon for contraception
- Speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using Dalacin Cream if you have diarrhoea or have developed diarrhoea while using antibiotics previously. If you develop bloody diarrhoea while using this treatment, stop using it immediately and seek medical advice
- You should not use Dalacin if you have ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel disease), Crohn’s disease, or enteritis (inflammation of the intestines)
For full details regarding warnings and precautions associated with the use of Dalacin Cream please read the Patient Information Leaflet.
Dalacin Vaginal Cream in pregnancy & breastfeeding
You should speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using Dalacin Cream if you are pregnant or breastfeeding and think you may have BV. They will be able to advise you as to what is the best treatment for you at this time.