- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
Buy Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture Online in the UK
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture is a cough remedy that helps to banish productive (chesty) coughs and sore throats so you can get back to feeling your best self.
- Non-drowsy formula
- Helps relieve the congestion and irritation that comes with a chesty cough
- Suitable for adults, the elderly and children aged 5 years and over
About Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture
What is Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture and what is it used for?
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture Mentholated is used to treat chesty coughs and sore throats.
This medicine contains liquorice and squill which belong to a group of medicines known as expectorants.
How does Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture work?
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture Mentholated helps remove phlegm in people with chesty coughs. Menthol helps relieve congestion in chesty coughs and bronchitis.
Alternatives to Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture
Experiencing coughs and colds at any time of the year is incredibly common. There are therefore plenty of choices when it comes to treating an irritating cough and it is often down to personal preference as to what treatment you prefer. Often cold and flu treatments also contain decongestants and painkillers so it is important to read the product descriptions of each treatment carefully.
Examples of alternative treatments include:
If you have been taking any cold and flu treatment for 5 days and have not noticed an improvement to your cough or your condition has worsened you should speak to a doctor for advice.
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture dosage
Read this section before you use Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture. It includes other information which might be especially important for you.
This medicine relieves the symptoms of chesty coughs and sore throats in adults, the elderly and children over 5 years.
For oral use only.
Shake the bottle before use.
- Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years: 1x or 2x 5ml spoonfuls
- Children 5-12 years: 1x 5ml spoonful
Dosage schedule: The dose is to be taken every 4 hours if required. If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor straight away. Take the pack with you to show which medicine you have swallowed.
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture ingredients
This medicine contains:
- 282mg of alcohol (ethanol) in each 5ml dose.
- The amount in 5ml of this medicine is equivalent to less than 7ml of beer or 3ml of wine. The small amount of alcohol in this medicine will not have any noticeable effects.
- 1.3g glucose and 1.3g sucrose per 5ml dose. This should be considered by patients with diabetes mellitus. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
- Sodium methyl, ethyl and propyl parahydroxybenzoates (E215, E219) which may cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed)
- Less than 1mmol sodium (23mg) per 5ml dose, that is to say essentially ‘sodium-free’
The active ingredients per 5ml are:
Levomenthol 4mg, squill tincture 0.6ml, liquorice liquid extract 0.125ml
The other ingredients are:
Peppermint oil, anise oil, capsicum tincture (capsicum oleoresin, ethanol), syrup (sucrose), liquid glucose, magnesium aluminium silicate, sodium methyl, ethyl and propyl parahydroxybenzoates (E215, E217, E219), glycerol (E422), caramel (E150c), purified water
Suitable for vegetarians, vegans and coeliacs
Free from nuts and artificial flavours
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture side effects
Like all medicines, Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture Mentholated can have side effects, although these don’t affect everyone.
Possible side effects are:
Allergic reactions such as dermatitis, skin rash, flushing and itchy lumps
Higher sodium salt and water levels within the body
Low blood potassium levels within the body. Unbalanced potassium and sodium levels may produce side effects of muscle weakness, confusion, disorientation, and irregular heartbeat
Gastrointestinal reactions such as abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you notice these or any other side effect not included above, stop use and tell your doctor or pharmacist. They will tell you what to do.
Reporting of side effects: If you get any side effects (including any possible side effects not listed), talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. You can also report side effects directly via the yellow card scheme at: www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for ‘MHRA Yellow Card’ in the Google Play or Apple App Store. By reporting side effects, you can help provide more information on the safety of this medicine.
Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture warnings
Do not use the medicine if you or your child have:
- An allergy to any of the ingredients listed
- Any type of heart complaint
- Are an alcoholic
- Have breathing difficulties
- Have raised pressure in your head
- Have heart, liver or kidney problems
Talk to your doctor if you or your child are taking:
- Carbenoxolone for a stomach ulcer
- Medicines which help remove fluids from the body (e.g. water tablets)
If you’re pregnant or breastfeeding:
- Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this medicine if you are pregnant, might be pregnant or are breastfeeding.
If you take too much:
- If you accidentally take too much, see a doctor straight away. Take the pack with you to show which medicine you have swallowed
Keep it out of the sight and reach of children
Do not store above 25°C
Do not use after the expiry date shown on the carton. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month
Medicine should not be disposed of via wastewater or household waste. Ask your pharmacist how to dispose of any unused medicine
Always read the label before taking Covonia Chesty Cough Mixture Mentholated.