- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free support and advice
- We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
Clobetasone 0.05% Ointment Summary
|Type of medicine||Topical corticosteroid|
|Works by||Reduces inflammation of the skin|
|Active ingredient||Clobetasone butyrate 0.05%|
|Effective within||1 - 3 days|
|Common side effects||An itching or burning sensation on the affected area, acne, hair growth.|
|Use with alcohol||No known issues|
Clobetasone 0.05% Ointment information
What is Clobetasone and what is it used for?
Clobetasone 0.05% ointment is used to treat inflammatory skin disorders such as eczema and psoriasis. Its active ingredient is clobetasone butyrate, a moderately potent corticosteroid that is applied directly to the skin and works to reduce redness, inflammation and itching of the skin.
Clobetasone Ointment is available in 30-gram tubes and can be purchased on prescription by adults over the age of 18 years. If you are unsure if this is the right treatment for you speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice.
What is eczema?
Eczema is a common skin condition that affects 20% of children and 8% of adults in the UK. It causes the skin to become dry, scaly and itchy. In severe cases of eczema, the skin may begin to weep and bleed. If the skin splits, it becomes open to various types of infection. Corticosteroids are usually used to treat eczema only when it flares up due to an allergen or irritant. If your eczema flares up frequently, you may be prescribed a corticosteroid to use twice per week as a preventative measure.
What is psoriasis?
Psoriasis is another condition that involves dry, scaly skin. It most often occurs on the hands, feet, elbows, knees and scalp. It is thought to occur when the immune system targets healthy skin cells. Psoriasis can flare up due to stress, injury, a reaction to some types of medicine, hormonal changes, smoking or excessive drinking.
How does Clobetasone work?
Corticosteroids such as clobetasone butyrate are anti-inflammatory medicines. Skin becomes inflamed when the body releases inflammatory chemicals in response to an allergen or irritation. These chemicals make blood vessels widen, causing the skin to swell and become itchy and painful. Corticosteroids prevent this by inhibiting cells from releasing large amounts of these substances.
Alternatives to Clobetasone
Clobetasone Ointment is just one treatment option for eczema and psoriasis. Eumovate Cream & Ointment is a direct, branded, alternative to Clobetasone. It contains the exact same active ingredients in the same quantity.
Clobetasone may not be the right treatment option for you, for more information on alternative prescription and over the counter treatments please take a look at our Advice for Eczema & Dermatitis and our Psoriasis page.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
Clobetasone is unsuitable for you if you are allergic to any of the ointment’s ingredients.
Clobetasone can cause the following conditions to worsen:
- Viral infections (e.g. cold sores, herpes, chickenpox)
- Bacterial infections
- Fungal infections (e.g. thrush, athlete’s foot)
- Rosacea (flushing of skin around the nose)
- Perioral dermatitis (a rash around the mouth).
Consult your GP if you plan on applying Clobetasone under a bandage, dressing or nappy. You may be advised to reduce your dose.
If you are using Clobetasone to treat psoriasis, you will likely be advised to have more frequent check-ups.
Clobetasone and other medicines
Clobetasone may interact with the following medicines:
- HIV medicines (e.g. ritonavir)
- Antifungal medicines (e.g. itraconazole)
Please read all packaging and the Patient Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
How to use Clobetasone
- Apply this product thinly and carefully to the affected area(s). The amount required will vary depending on the area of skin which is affected.
- Gently rub in the ointment so that it is properly absorbed. This should be done one or two times per day. This dose can be decreased once symptoms begin to improve.
- It is advised not to use Clobetasone for more than four weeks. Talk to your GP if you do not notice improved symptoms after two to four weeks of regular treatment.
- You may be using other topical medicines alongside Clobetasone ointment. If this is the case, you are advised to wait at least 30 minutes between applications. This will prevent any medicine from becoming diluted.
The active ingredients contained in Clobetasone are: Clobetasone butyrate (0.05% w/w)
Clobetasone also contains the following inactive ingredients to make up the complete product: Liquid paraffin, white soft paraffin
Clobetasone side effects
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take Clobetasone, however, if you do they may include:
- An itching or burning sensation on the affected area
- hair growth
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Clobetasone 0.05% Ointment reviews
Clobetasone 0.05% Ointment FAQs
Yes – as long as you are buying from a website that is a legally operating and regulated pharmacy, it is perfectly safe to buy Clobetasone online.
The Independent Pharmacy is an NHS Online Pharmacy based in Bristol and has all the necessary regulation to be able to safely provide convenient access to genuine prescription treatments through our Online Pharmacy and Online Doctor.
All of our eczema treatments are supplied by the same UK-based wholesalers used by the large high-street chains.
Just select ‘Start Consultation’ next to the product above, or on the links below.
You will need to fill in a simple health questionnaire so that our GPs and Pharmacists can ensure it is safe for us to supply your Clobetasone to you. It only takes a few minutes, and your treatment can be delivered to your door as soon as the next working day.
There are many advantages to buying eczema treatments online, some include:
- It's quick and easy- there is no need to spend time at the doctor or pharmacy.
- Fast delivery- We offer same day dispatch before 4pm and fast delivery to your address of choice with Royal Mail.
- Great prices- we are able to offer very competitive prices and we guarantee to beat any other Online Doctor service.
- Wealth of information - we provide all the information you could need on Clobetasone tablets and other eczema treatments, in easy to digest formats, at a time that suits you.
The price includes the medication you have selected, the private consultation with our doctor or pharmacist and, if the purchase is over £40, it also includes free standard delivery. Under £40, standard delivery is £2.95 and all items are sent using a Royal Mail Tracked Service.
- Fast - order before 4pm and receive your treatment as quickly as the next day
- Free online consultation service with one of our registered GMC doctors
- Discreet packaging & confidential service - we don't include any branding or pharmacy logo on our packaging meaning you can get your treatment delivered anywhere
- UK based and GMC UK registered Doctors
- Only proven prescription medication available
- Approved by the National Pharmacy Association and CareQuality Commission