- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
Otrivine Sinusitis Spray information
What is Otrivine Sinusitis Relief Nasal Spray?
Sinusitis relief nasal spray is a medicated treatment that relieves nasal symptoms of sinusitis. The active ingredients in Otrivine help to open the nasal canals to prevent blockages and reduce swelling. Otrivine spray gets to work in as little as 2 minutes and can provide up to 10 hours of relief, so you can manage your symptoms quicker and easier.
What is sinusitis?
Sinusitis is the swelling or inflammation of the sinus tissues. It is, however, not uncommon and usually occurs when an infection, such as the common cold or allergic rhinitis, is present. It usually goes away on its own after 2 to 3 weeks, but treatments such as nasal sprays can keep symptoms at bay.
What are the main symptoms of sinusitis?
Since sinusitis affects the sinuses, symptoms in the throat, forehead, and nose are common. You may experience the following:
- A blocked nose or excessive mucus.
- Pressure around the eyes, nose or forehead.
- A cough.
- High temperature.
A simple sinusitis infection can be treated with nasal treatments such as Otrivine Sinusitis Relief Nasal Spray or other cold and allergy medications. However, if symptoms persist consult your doctor for further advice.
What causes a blocked nose?
Excess mucus is commonly thought to cause nasal congestion, but this is not the case. It is caused by inflamed blood vessels that are irritated by environmental factors such as allergies or viruses such as the common cold or flu.
How long does nasal congestion last?
Depending on the cause of your congestion your symptoms shouldn’t last too long, especially while using a nasal spray that helps unblock your nose. Symptoms may come and go throughout the year and flare up during periods of hay fever, colds or flu.
What is Otrivine Nasal Spray used for?
A blocked nose is one of the main symptoms of sinusitis. Congestion can be uncomfortable to deal with, especially when symptoms persist, but Otrivine Sinusitis Relief Nasal Spray helps unblock your nose and clear your sinuses for effective relief.
How does Otrivine Nasal Spray relieve blocked noses?
Otrivine Sinusitis Relief Nasal Spray contains the active ingredient xylometazoline hydrochloride, which helps to open and clear the nasal passages by reducing excessive nasal secretions and returning swollen blood vessels to their normal size.
How quickly does Otrivine Nasal Spray work?
One spray in each nostril can reduce nasal blockages in as little as 2 minutes, and the effects can last up to 10 hours. If your nose becomes congested again throughout the day, Otrivine Sinusitis Relief Nasal Spray can be used up to 3 times per day.
Alternatives to Otrivine Nasal Spray
Allergies such as hay fever can be one of the main triggers for sinusitis as well as other symptoms including itchy eyes and a sore throat. If you suffer from hay fever, nasal sprays such as Pirinase Hayfever Nasal Spray, Beconase Nasal Spray or Rhinolast Nasal Spray can help with blockages and keep other allergy symptoms at bay. Alternatively, oral antihistamine tablets like Loratadine or Levocetirizine can calm nasal-related symptoms.
How to use Otrivine Sinusitis Spray
Otrivine Sinusitis Relief Spray is very easy to use. Always read the label and follow the instructions found in the enclosed leaflet (or as instructed by your GP) to safely relieve nasal congestion.
- Do not cut the nozzle as the spray contains a pre-set metered dose.
- Blow your nose to remove excessive nasal secretions.
- Remove the protective cap from the nozzle.
- Before use, activate the pump by pumping 4 times. It should remain charged throughout the day, but if you have more than 7 days break between use the pump will need to be re-primed.
- Hold the bottle upright with your thumb under the base and the nozzle between two fingers.
- Insert the nozzle into the nostril.
- Depress the pump and sniff at the same time. Use one pump in each nostril.
- Do not blow your nose for the first few minutes after application.
- Clean and dry the nozzle before replacing the cap right after use.
Otrivine Nasal Spray side effects
Like all medications, there is a risk of possible side effects for some users of this nasal spray.
Side effects may include:
- Severe itching of the skin or red bumps
- Nasal dryness, discomfort or irritation
Although rare, if you experience serious side effects such as any of the following, stop using the treatment and seek medical assistance.
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat
If you experience any of the above side effects (or any other effects not listed here) you should speak to your GP, pharmacist or another medical professional for advice.
Otrivine Sinusitis Spray ingredients
The active ingredient is xylometazoline hydrochloride (0.1% w/v).
Other ingredients include benzalkonium chloride, sodium phosphate, disodium edetate, sodium acid phosphate, sodium chloride, sorbitol, hypromellose, and purified water.
Otrivine Nasal Spray warnings
It’s important to use medications that are safe and suitable for your needs. If you are unsure, consult your doctor before use. Otrivine Nasal Spray should not be used if the following applies:
- You are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) or have stopped taking them in the last 14 days
- You are allergic to the active ingredient xylometazoline hydrochloride
- You have chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis)
- You suffer from an enlarged prostate gland
- You are recovering from neurosurgery
Alternative treatment should be used to help with allergy relief and blocked nose symptoms.
Can you use Otrivine Nasal Spray while pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s best to consult your doctor before using this nasal spray, although the treatment is usually safe.