Minocycline MR 100mg capsules are available to buy from The Independent Pharmacy Online Doctor service, following a free consultation, to help to treat acne. To find out more about acne and see all the available treatments, see our Acne page.
Minocycline MR 100mg capsules are used to treat symptoms of acne. The active ingredient, minocycline hydrocholride, belongs to the group of medicines known as tetracycline antibiotics. Minocycline is effective at treating infections caused by bacteria. Each capsule contains 100mg of minocycline in a modified-release formulation. The modified-release formulation means that they only need to be taken once daily.
Minocycline MR 100mg caspules kill the bacteria that infect the skin and lead to acne. These bacteria are known as propionbacterium. In acne, there is usually excess sebum and dead skin cells present on the skin. These feed bacteria living on the skin causing them to flourish. The waste products produced by the bacteria can block pores and irritate the skin leading to acne. By killing these bacteria, Minocycline 100mg MR capsules help to reduce the build up of bacterial byproducts and clear up acne. You should also wash your face with a mild cleanser to help keep it clear of excess sebum and keratin skin cells.
Minocycline capsules are suitable for treating mild to moderate acne where there is an active infection and visible inflammation. The duration of treatment will depend on how quickly your condition improves. For acne, Minocycline MR capsules will normally be taken for at least eight weeks.
Minocycline MR capsules are also available as a branded treatment, Minocin MR capsules.
Ensure you take Minocycline capsules regularly and be patient with your treatment. It can take up to 6 weeks to start to see an improvement. This allows time of the antibiotics to kill the excess bacteria on your skin and then time for your skin to heal the spots that already in the affected area.
You should take one Minocycline MR capsule daily, at the same time each day.
Minocycline MR capsules should always be taken with a full glass of water.
Minocycline MR should be taken on an empty stomach, this is usually one hour before food or two hours after food.
Minocycline MR capsules should not be taken at the same time as indigestion remedies. A gap of 2 -3 hours should be left between taking each treatment.
For treating acne, you will normally need to take Minocycline MR capsules for at least 8 weeks. Treatment should be assessed after 3 months to determine whether it has been effective. If your treatment has been effective, you can continue to take Minocycline MR if necessary. If there has been no improvement in your acne, you should stop taking Minocycline MR and consider a different acne treatment. Minocycline can be taken continuously for up to SIX months depending on response.
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with Minocycline MR 100mg capsules. Just because a side effect is stated here does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Spinning sensation (vertigo).
- Loss of appetite.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Pins and needles or numb sensations.
- Sensation of ringing, or other noise in the ears (tinnitus).
- Difficulty or pain when swallowing (dysphagia).
- Inflammation or ulceration of the foodpipe (tablets or capsules should be swallowed whole with plenty of fluid while sitting or standing to avoid this).
- Skin reactions such as rash and itch.
- Hair loss.
- Abnormal reaction of the skin to light, usually a rash (photosensitivity).
- Staining of skin, nails, teeth, sweat, tears, eyes, breast milk (see warning section above).
- Discolouration of teeth.
- Overgrowth of the yeast Candida, which may cause infection such as thrush (see warning section above).
- Inflammation of the bowel (colitis) - see warning section above.
- Inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis).
- Raised pressure within the skull (consult your doctor if you get a severe persistant headache, or double or blurred vision while taking this medicine).
- Liver disorders (consult your doctor if you experience yellowing of your skin or eyes (jaundice) while taking this medicine).
- Blood disorders (consult your doctor if you experience bruising, sore throat, fever or infections while taking this medicine).
The side effects listed above may not include all of the side effects reported by the medicine's manufacturer. For more information about any other possible risks associated with Mincycline, please read the information provided with the medicine or consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- Minocycline may reduce your ability to drive or operate machinery safely. Do not drive or operate machinery until you know how this medicine affects you and you are sure it won't affect your performance.
- In some people Minocycline can cause the skin to become more sensitive to sunlight and UV light. For this reason you should avoid excessive exposure to strong sunlight, and avoid using sunbeds and sunlamps while you are taking this medicine.
- Slight blue/black/grey staining of the skin, teeth, nails, inside of mouth, eyes, tears, breast milk or sweat has sometimes been reported with this medicine. This can occur at any time but is more common during long-term treatment. Any skin or mouth staining usually disappears a few months after stopping treatment, but staining in other parts of the body, although less common, may persist. A persistent muddy-brown skin stain has also been reported, particularly in sun-exposed areas of skin. Consult your doctor without delay if you notice any staining so your treatment can be reviewed.
- Prolonged treatment with antibiotics can sometimes cause overgrowth of other organisms that are not susceptible to the antibiotic, for example fungi or yeasts such as Candida. This may sometimes cause infections such as thrush. Tell your doctor if you think you have developed a new infection during or after taking this antibiotic.
- Broad-spectrum antibiotics can sometimes cause inflammation of the bowel (colitis). For this reason, if you get diarrhoea that becomes severe or persistent or contains blood or mucus, either during or after taking this medicine, you should consult your doctor immediately.
- If treatment with this medicine is continued for longer than six months, then your doctor should ask to see you regularly, usually every three months, to monitor for any possible side effects of the medicine.
Minocycline MR 100mg capsules contain minocycline hydrochloride 100mg in a prolonged release formulation.
Each capsules also contains: microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, povidone, iron oxide red (E172), iron oxide yellow (E172), silica colloidal anhydrous, magnesium stearate, hypromellose phthalate, triethyl citrate, carnauba wax, gelatin, Opadry OY-S-24932 pink which contains hypromellose 2910, macrogol 6000, titanium dioxide (E171), talc, iron oxide red (E172).