- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
About Norgeston Tablets
Progestogen-only contraceptive pills, like Norgeston, contain progestogens but not oestrogens. They help to make it harder for the sperm to penetrate the womb by thickening the cervical mucus. Some can also help to stop ovulation depending on the type of progestogen they contain. If taken correctly they are over 99% successful at preventing pregnancy.
If you have been prescribed Norgeston, repeat supplies can be purchased online from The Independent Pharmacy, following a simple medical questionnaire. One of our doctors will review your order on the same working day – if they deem that Norgeston is suitable for you, your order will be with you as soon as the next working day.
What is Norgeston and what is it used for?
Norgeston is a progesterone-only oral contraceptive pill. Its active ingredient is levonorgestrel, a synthetic version of the female sex hormone progesterone. Combined contraceptive pills contain a form of oestrogen, whereas progesterone-only pills such as Norgeston can be used by women who cannot take oestrogen. This includes women who are breastfeeding or who suffer from regular migraines. If used correctly, Norgeston is over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy.
There are 35 tablets in each pack of Norgeston. There is no interval in this treatment cycle – take the first pill of your next pack the day after finishing the first.
Try to incorporate taking your pill into your daily routine or set an alarm on your mobile phone to remind you to take it within the required 3-hour window.
How does Norgeston work?
Pregnancy occurs when an egg released from the ovaries is fertilised by sperm. Norgeston increases progesterone levels in such a way that thickens the fluid in the cervix, preventing sperm from entering the womb and fertilising any eggs which are released. It can also prevent ovulation from occurring, though it does not do so as consistently as combined contraceptive pills.
Alternatives to Norgeston
Norgeston contains the active ingredient levonorgestrel, which is a synthetic progesterone. This pill needs to be taken within a 3-hour window each day to protect you against pregnancy. In recent years a progesterone-only pill containing the synthetic progesterone desogestrel has been developed that now extends that window to 12 hours. Some women prefer these pills as they feel more confident about remembering to take their contraceptive pill within a larger time frame.
Alternative Progesterone-Only Pills include:
In line with new guidelines, we are also proud to announce that The Independent Pharmacy now stocks one of the only available progesterone-only pills that can be bought from pharmacies without the need for a prescription. Buy Lovima online today and get fast, discreet delivery.
Non-Medicinal Contraception Alternatives:
- Female Condoms - Not only do they prevent pregnancy they also prevent STIs. There is currently only one brand available in the UK, called Femidom. Shown to be 95% effective.
- Male Condoms - Prevent pregnancy and also prevent STIs. Shown to be 98% effective.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
Norgeston is unsuitable for you if you have:
- An allergy to any of this medicine’s ingredients
- Severe liver disease
- A history of breast cancer
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding
- A blood clotting disorder
- A history of heart attack or stroke
- Severe diabetes
You may be advised not to take Norgeston if you have ever suffered from any of the following conditions:
- Ovarian cysts
- An ectopic pregnancy
If you require any blood test, inform your doctor of which medicines you are taking – Norgeston may alter the results of some blood tests.
Norgeston and cancer
Do not use Norgeston if you have breast cancer, or if you have had it before. Long-term use of hormonal contraceptives may slightly increase your chance of developing breast cancer. Once you have stopped using the Pill for at least 10 years, your risk levels will come back down. Women who are elderly and/or overweight are more vulnerable to breast cancer. Take care using Norgeston if a close relative has suffered from breast cancer before. Check your breasts and nipples regularly for any changes or lumps. If you notice anything abnormal, visit your doctor as soon as you can.
Norgeston may increase your chance of developing cervical cancer. For this reason, you should have regular smear tests while taking the Pill.
Norgeston and blood clots
You may be more susceptible to blood clots while taking Norgeston, especially during the first year of use. Talk to your GP before having any operation while taking the Pill. You may need to stop using Norgeston to avoid the increased risk of a blood clot in advance of the operation. You are also at a heightened risk of developing a blood clot if you:
- Are obese
- Have a family history of blood clots
- Do not exercise regularly
- Have had a miscarriage in the past
- Have recently given birth
Norgeston and other medicines
The following medicines may impact the effectiveness of Norgeston:
- Epilepsy medicines
- Antivirals for HIV
- Certain antibiotics
- St John’s Wort
Norgeston may impact the effectiveness of the following medicines:
- Anticoagulants (e.g. coumarins, phenindione)
Please read all packaging and the Patient Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
Before starting Norgeston you must ensure that you have read and understood how to take this medication, which is detailed in the Patient Information Leaflet.
Norgeston is for oral use only, to prevent pregnancy. Our medical team at The Independent Pharmacy can prescribe Norgeston online for women over the age of 18 years who have had it previously prescribed by their GP.
- Take 1 Norgeston tablet every day at the same time with a glass of water until the packet is empty. Each pack contains 35 pills.
- When you finish a pack, start a new pack, in the same way, on the following day. Do not have a break.
How do you start taking Norgeston?
If you are not currently using or have not used any hormonal contraception in the past month:
- Wait for your period to start and take your first Norgeston tablet on day 1 of your period.
- You will not need to use any barrier contraceptives such as condoms to prevent pregnancy.
- If you start taking Norgeston anytime after day 1 of your period you will need to use a barrier method of contraception for 7 days.
If you are switching from a combined pill, vaginal ring or transdermal patch:
- Take your first Norgeston tablet, on the first day after your tablet, ring or patch-free break of your previous contraceptive and use barrier contraception such as condoms for 7 days.
- Do not have a tablet, ring or patch-free break and start taking Norgeston the day after you take your last tablet from your present pack, or on the day of removal of your vaginal ring or patch. You will not need to use additional barrier contraception.
If you are changing from any other progestogen-only-pill:
- You can switch on any day and you will not need to use additional barrier contraception.
If you are changing from an injection or implant or hormonal IUS such as the coil:
- Take your first Norgeston tablet the day your next injection is due or on the day that your implant or your IUS is removed. You will not need to use additional barrier contraception.
If you are using Norgeston after having a baby:
- Start taking Norgeston immediately after delivery.
- If you start taking Norgeston later than this time you will need to use a barrier contraceptive such as a condom, during the first 7 days.
What if I miss a Norgeston pill?
If you are over 3 hours late taking Norgeston or you vomit or have diarrhoea with 2 hours, this counts as a “missed pill”:
- Take the “missed pill” as soon as you remember or as soon as you feel well enough and then continue to take your pills at the usual time the next day. You may need to take 2 on the same day.
- You should use a barrier method of contraception such as a condom for 7 days to protect you from pregnancy.
- If you are more than 3 hours late taking your pill and have had sex, you can use emergency contraception to protect you from pregnancy.
If you are less than 3 hours late taking your Norgeston tablet:
- Take the late pill as soon as you remember and take the next tablet at the usual time.
- You will still be protected from pregnancy.
The active ingredients contained in Norgeston are: 30 micrograms of levonorgestrel
Norgeston also contains the following inactive ingredients: Lactose, maize starch, povidone, polyethylene glycol 6000, calcium carbonate, talc, magnesium stearate, sucrose, montan glycol wax.
Norgeston side effects
Before taking Norgeston tablets, you should take time to familiarise yourself with all side effects detailed in the Patient Information Leaflet.
Like other medications, Norgeston may cause some people to experience side effects. These normally improve after the first few months of taking a progesterone-only pill.
If you experience severe side effects or an allergic reaction while taking Norgeston you should get immediate medical advice from a doctor or your nearest emergency department.
If you are concerned about any side effects or you find they do not improve after the first few months or after you stop taking Norgeston you should speak to a doctor, pharmacist or nurse for advice.
The most common side effects associated with Norgeston include:
- Irregular periods, spotting or no periods
- Changes to your mood
- Less sexual desire
- Feeling sick
- Acne and spots
- Breast pain and tenderness
- Weight gain
Norgeston Tablets reviews
Norgeston Tablets FAQs
If possible, begin taking Norgeston on the first day of your period. If you begin taking the Pill in the first five days of your cycle, you will be immediately protected from pregnancy. If you begin later in your cycle, you will need to abstain from sex or use alternative contraception for the first seven days of taking Norgeston.
If you have a menstrual cycle of less than 24 days, you may need to use alternative contraception for your first seven days regardless of when you start.
Yes – we understand that sometimes you will want your treatment as soon as possible. If ordered before 4pm Monday to Friday, Norgeston is available for next-day delivery.
Yes – as long as you are buying from a website that is a legally operating and regulated pharmacy, it is perfectly safe to buy Norgeston online.
The Independent Pharmacy is an NHS Online Pharmacy based in Bristol and has all the necessary regulation to be able to safely provide convenient access to genuine prescription treatments through our Online Pharmacy and Online Doctor.
All of our contraceptives are supplied by the same UK-based wholesalers used by the large high-street chains.
Just select ‘Start Consultation’ next to the product above, or on the links below.
You will need to fill in a simple health questionnaire so that our GPs and Pharmacists can ensure it is safe for us to supply your Norgeston to you. It only takes a few minutes, and your treatment can be delivered to your door as soon as the next working day.
There are many advantages to buying the Pill online, some include:
- It's quick and easy- there is no need to spend time at the doctor or pharmacy.
- Fast delivery- We offer same day dispatch before 4pm and fast delivery to your address of choice with Royal Mail.
- Great prices- we are able to offer very competitive prices and we guarantee to beat any other Online Doctor service.
- Wealth of information - we provide all the information you could need on Norgeston and other contraceptives, in easy to digest formats, at a time that suits you.