- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
Sebco ointment - triple action scalp treatment
Sebco ointment is a popular treatment choice to treat the symptoms of dry, flaky, itching and scaliness. It is effective in the treatment of eczema, psoriasis, seborrhoeic dermatitis that affect the scalp, as well as dry scalp and dandruff. Sebco ointment can be purchased online for delivery as quickly as the next day.
Sebco - Important Information
What is Sebco ointment?
Sebco ointment is a topical ointment that contains three separate active ingredients that are mixed in coconut oil. Combined they make a powerful treatment to combat troublesome scalp symptoms and get flare-ups under control.
How does Sebco work?
Sebco works in the following ways:
- Keratolytic - Sebco helps to break down excess keratin in the skin. Keratin is responsible for skin build-up, thickening and scaling. By breaking down excess keratin, Sebco helps to remove scales and flakes.
- Antipruritic - Sebco helps to reduce itching.
- Antiseptic - Sebco helps to kill microorganisms that live on the scalp that can infect blocked pores or areas of cracked or broken skin.
Who can use Sebco?
Sebco ointment can be used on anyone aged over 12 years.
What does Sebco contain?
The active ingredients are coal tar 12% w/w, salicylic acid 2% w/w and sulfur 4% w/w.
The other ingredients are coconut oil, white soft paraffin, cetostearyl alcohol, glycerol, liquid paraffin, polyoxyethylene glycerol monostearate, hard paraffin.
How do you use Sebco ointment?
Sebco ointment should be applied to the external skin on the affected areas of your scalp.
If you are currently experiencing a flare-up of your scalp condition, you should use Sebco daily for three to seven days continuously.
For maintenance of scalp conditions to reduce mild scaliness and reduce flare-ups, you should use Sebco intermittently as necessary. This is normally around once a week.
When applying Sebco, follow the instructions below:
- Pierce the tube membrane by inverting the cap. Affix the scalp applicator to the threaded portion of the tube.
- Part the hair and apply a thin ribbon of Sebco to the affected areas of the scalp. Take care to avoid contact with the eyes. Gently rub in the ointment and leave it in contact with the scalp for approximately one hour. Wash your hands immediately afterwards.
- After one hour, remove the ointment by showering or rinsing it with warm water. If after the first week, there is no improvement or after 4 weeks symptoms persist, consult your doctor. If you accidentally get some into your eyes wash it out immediately with plenty of cold tap water. If irritation of the eyes develops consult your doctor or pharmacist.
For full instructions on how to use Sebco ointment and additional diagrams, refer to the Patient Information Leaflet: https://dermauk.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/uk-mockup-leaflet-Sebco-PIL.pdf
Sebco ointment warnings
Do not use Sebco:
- If you know you are allergic to coal tar, salicylic acid, sulfur or any of the ingredients.
- If you have an acute infection of an area of skin. Swelling, pain, redness and maybe pus are signs of this.
Make sure your doctor or pharmacist knows if any of the above affects you.
Take special care with Sebco:
- Avoid contact with the eyes and any areas of broken skin.
- Coal tar can stain clothes and jewellery. Remove or protect these before application.
Other medicines and Sebco
Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking, have recently taken or might take any other medicines.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
Ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice before using this, or any other medicine when you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, are planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding. Your doctor will decide whether it is in your best interests to use Sebco in these circumstances.
Driving and using machines
Sebco should not affect your ability to drive or use machinery.
Sebco contains cetostearyl alcohol
Cetostearyl alcohol may cause a sensitivity rash (e.g. contact dermatitis).
Sebco side effects
Like all medicines, there is a chance of getting side effects when using Sebco ointment, although these are normally rare and mild.
The following side effects have been reported:
- Irritation of the skin
- Inflammation of the hair follicles causing soreness and small pus-filled spots around the base of the hairs
- Rarely, a sensitivity rash to sunlight
If you experience any of the above side effects, or any effects not listed here, please stop using Sebco and speak to your pharmacist or GP.