- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
About Viscotears Gel
Effective relief from dry eye symptoms such as soreness, irritation and dryness. Viscotears Gel For Dry Eye Treatment contains Carbomer, which produces a moisturising layer over the eye's surface. It can be used as a substitute for natural tears for people who have dry eyes. Longer lasting protection from dry eyes.
Viscotears Gel information
What are Viscotears Gel and what are they used for?
Viscotears eye gel is used to treat the symptoms of dry eyes. These symptoms include; burning, irritation, soreness, and dryness. Dry eye conditions are usually caused by the eyes not producing enough tears to keep them moist. Viscotears contain the active ingredient carbomer, which is an eye lubricant.
Viscotears is suitable for people who suffer from dry eyes because:
- They aren’t producing enough of their own tears
- The tear film they are producing is unstable
Vicotears are manufactured by Bausch & Lomb U.K Limited and are available in two forms. The first is a small 10g tube. The second is single-use vials that have individual twist-off seals. Viscotears Eye Gel is suitable for adults and the elderly over the age of 18 years.
How do Viscotears work?
Viscotears contain the active ingredient carbomer. This is a synthetic polymer that acts to form a viscous eye gel that helps moisten the surface of the eye. Carbomer grips the surface of the eye, which means it isn’t washed away as easily as other lubricating eye drops.
Alternative to Viscotears
At The Independent Pharmacy, we understand that suffering from dry eyes is common and can be very uncomfortable, irritating and even painful. That is why we stock a range of dry eye drops to suit your needs to keep your eyes feeling fresh, healthy and revitalised. Alternative dry eye treatments include:
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- Contact lenses should not be worn during the installation of the drug
- After instillation, there should be an interval of at least 15 minutes before reinsertion
- The safety and efficacy of Viscotears Liquid Gel in children and adolescents at the posology recommended in adults have been established by clinical experience, but no clinical trial data are available
- Viscotears Liquid Gel contains a sterile gel until the original closure is broken
- The tip of the container should not come into contact with any surface including the eye, as this may cause injury to the eye and contaminate the gel.
- Discard four weeks after the first opening
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
How to use Viscotears
Adults, including the elderly 18 years and over: Instil 1 drop into each affected eye three or four times a day.
- Wash your hands before use
- Hold the tube vertically with the open end pointing down and tilt your head backwards
- Pull your lower eyelid downwards and look upwards
- After instilling the drops, blink a few times and wipe away any excess gel
- Wash your hands before use
The active ingredients contained in this medicine is: Carbomer 980 2mg/g.
The medicine also contains the following inactive ingredients: Cetrimide 0.1mg/g, sorbitol, sodium hydroxide and water.
Viscotears side effects
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take medication, however, if you do they can include:
- Eye irritation
- Sticky eyelids
- Blurred vision after the installation of the gel.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.