- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free support and advice
- We’re rated 4.9 out of 5
About Fybogel Mebeverine Sachets
Fybogel Sachets Mebeverine provides natural relief from symptoms of abdominal pain and bowel dysfunction associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. The sachets dissolve quickly in water for a pleasant tasting drink. This sugar and gluten free treatment contains mebeverine hydrochloride and natural ispaghula husk fibre, to help improve the digestive system and maintain regularity.
Fybogel Mebeverine Sachets information
What is Fybogel Mebeverine and what is it used for?
Fybogel Mebeverine can be used to relieve the symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) including painful spasms, constipation and bloating. It does this by using two active ingredients: ispaghula husk, and mebeverine.
To help restore bowel regularity, Fybogel Mebeverine should be taken twice a day, one sachet in the morning and one sachet in the evening. These sachets are manufactured by Forum Health Products and are suitable for adults and children over the age of 12 years.
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
IBS is a very common condition affecting the digestive system. It causes painful and sometimes embarrassing symptoms such as; stomach cramps, bloating, constipation, diarrhoea, wind, nausea and tiredness. The cause of IBS is often unknown and unfortunately, there is no known cure, however certain medications and dietary adjustments can make IBS easier to manage.
People who suffer from IBS often notice a pattern surrounding their symptoms. They may notice their symptoms worsen after eating a certain food or after episodes of increased stress. These symptoms may come and go over time.
If you would like more information about IBS please take a look at our Advice for IBS page.
How does Fybogel Mebeverine work?
Fybogel Mebeverine contains two active ingredients that help to relieve abdominal pain and cramping associated with IBS. These two ingredients are Ispaghula husk and mebeverine. Isphaghula husk is a kind of fibre known as a bulk-forming laxative used to treat constipation and maintain the normal functioning of the bowel. When ispaghula husk comes into contact with liquid it swells up in the gut, increasing the volume of your faeces making it easier to pass.
Mebeverine is a kind of medication known as an antispasmodic. It works by relaxing the muscles in and around the intestinal wall, relieving the painful spasms within the abdominal area and other related symptoms of IBS such as cramps, bloating, and wind.
Alternatives to Fybogel Mebeverine
There are certain diet and lifestyle changes that some IBS suffers may find adequate in helping to control and manage unpleasant symptoms, these include:
- Cook homemade meals using fresh ingredients when you can
- Keep a food diary of what you eat and any symptoms you get – this will help you to avoid things that trigger your IBS
- Try to find ways to relax and relieve stress
- Get plenty of exercise
- Avoid skipping meals
- Try to eat meals slowly
- Reduce your caffeine and alcohol intake
At The Independent Pharmacy, we also stock a wide range of alternative prescription and non-prescription IBS treatments that can effectively relieve symptoms. Treatments include:
For more information, surrounding IBS and available treatments take a look at our Advice for IBS page.
Fybogel Mebeverine warnings
You should contact your doctor before beginning to use Fybogel Mebeverine if any of the following apply to you:
- You are 40 years of age or over
- You have lost your appetite or lost weight
- You have blood in your stools
- You are vomiting
- You are looking pale and feeling tired
- You have severe constipation
- You have a fever
- You have recently travelled abroad
- You are pregnant, or planning to become pregnant
- You have unusual bleeding or discharge from your vagina
- You have difficulty or pain when urinating
- You have been prescribed a potassium-sparing diuretic medicine
- You have been prescribed potassium supplements
After taking Fybogel mebeverine sachets you may experience an increase in flatulence and bloating. This is because of the excess gas that will be present in the stomach and intestines in the first few days, however, this will improve over time.
Please read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly before using this medication.
Fybogel Mebeverine dosage
For adults and children over the age of 12: Mix 1 sachet of Fybogel Mebeverine with 15ml of water half an hour before breakfast and half an hour before dinner and drink immediately. If necessary, a third dose can be taken around lunchtime.
Fybogel Mebeverine sachets should not be consumed without water. Each individual dose should be stirred and dissolved fully in water before use. Without water, there is a risk that the contents of the sachet may cause a blockage within the gut. Always make sure to drink plenty of fluids throughout the day.
Fybogel Mebeverine sachets should not be consumed before going to bed. If your symptoms have not improved after 2 weeks you should consult your doctor. If your symptoms deteriorate, or if you experience any new symptoms, cease use and speak with your doctor.
Fybogel Mebeverine ingredients
The active ingredients contained in this medicine are: 3.5g Ispagula husk and 135mg Mebeverine.
The medicine also contains the following inactive ingredients: Aspartame and saccharin sodium sweeteners, potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, polysorbate 80, silica colloidal anhydrous, citric acid and riboflavin sodium phosphate colouring.
Fybogel Mebeverine side effects
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take medication, however, if you do they can include:
- You might experience bloating or flatulence during the first few days of treatment because of the increased intake of fibre in your diet. This may lessen as you continue taking the treatment. If these symptoms are worrying you, then reduce the daily amount to 1 sachet a day.
- Consult your pharmacist or doctor if symptoms persist or if you experience other symptoms after taking this product.
- Avoid taking this product without water.
- In case you accidentally take more than recommended, drink plenty of water.
- Avoid taking more than the recommended dosage.
- Avoid using this product after the expiry date indicated on the pack
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.