- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
Gyno-Daktarin for Thrush
Gyno-Daktarin is an anti-fungal cream effective at treating symptoms of internal and external vaginal thrush in adults. When applied into the vagina and surrounding skin it quickly destroys the fungus to help you feel more comfortable.
Buy your thrush treatment online today from The Independent Pharmacy once you have completed a free online health consultation and get discreet delivery to your door.
What is Gyno-Daktarin?
Gyno-Daktarin Cream contains the active ingredient miconazole, a powerful, fast-acting antifungal formula that destroys the fungus that causes vaginal thrush. It is applied to itchy, red skin in and around the vagina to soothe symptoms, clearing thick, white discharge.
This cream is manufactured by Janssen-Cilag Ltd and is suitable for use by adults over the age of 18 years. Each tube is supplied with easy-to-use disposable applicators making each use simple, quick and mess-free.
What is Gyno-Daktarin used for?
Vaginal Thrush is caused by the growth of a fungus in and around the vagina called candida. Candida is always present on the skin and is normally harmless, however, when the environment of the vagina changes due to irritation of the skin, antibiotics, certain medications and pregnancy, the fungus has the perfect conditions to grow and multiply.
Gyno-Daktarin helps to improve internal and external symptoms of vaginal thrush. Reducing itching, redness, irritation and the white ‘cottage cheese’ discharge associated with thrush, by destroying the fungus and rebalancing the vagina's natural environment.
You should only use Gyno-Daktarin Cream if you have previously been diagnosed with vaginal thrush by a doctor or pharmacist. If you are unsure you should book an appointment to see a doctor, to discuss your symptoms.
How does Gyno-Daktarin work?
Gyno-Daktarin cream contains miconazole nitrate which is regularly used to manage fungal infections of the skin. When Gyno-Daktarin is applied inside the vagina and to the surrounding skin, miconazole targets the candida fungal cells and causes holes to form in their membranes destroying them, which quickly clears symptoms and clears the infection.
How quickly does Gyno-Daktarin work?
It is recommended that for the treatment of vaginal thrush Gyno-Daktarin cream is used for 7 days. Most people will notice a considerable improvement in their symptoms within these 7 days, however, you must continue using Gyno-Daktarin for the full course to avoid vaginal thrush recurring.
If you do not feel your symptoms have cleared within 7 days you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Alternatives to Gyno-Daktarin
Vaginal Thrush is a very common condition and therefore many treatments have been developed to provide people with the most appropriate care to suit their needs.
At The Independent Pharmacy, we stock a wide range of anti-fungal treatments in the form of creams, pessaries and tablets. Although the anti-fungal agent may differ in the various treatments the effect they have on vaginal thrush is much the same. Examples of alternative vaginal thrush treatments include:
- Canesten Thrush Cream (2% Clotrimazole) - double-strength cream for external thrush.
- Canesten Pessaries (Clotrimazole) - for the treatment of internal thrush, works directly at the cause.
- Fluconazole Capsules (Fluconazole) - generic brand or antifungal thrush treatment.
- Canesten Combi (Clotrimazole) - vaginal pessary and cream to treat internal and external symptoms of thrush.
How to use Gyno-Daktarin
Gyno-Daktarin cream is for use by adults over the age of 18 years to treat internal and external symptoms of vaginal thrush.
For Internal Thrush (apply once daily, before bedtime, for 7 days):
- Fill an applicator with cream by attaching the applicator to the end of the tube. Squeeze the tube and pull the plunger at the same time until it reaches the stop mark and then unscrew the applicator.
- Lie down with your knees bent and your legs spread apart. Insert the yellow end of the applicator well into the vagina.
- Push the plunger until it stops, and slowly remove the applicator and throw it in the bin.
- Wash your hands well after use.
For External Thrush (apply twice daily for 7 days):
- Apply a thin layer of cream to all areas of the affected skin.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after use.
Before use, you should ensure you have read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly.
The active ingredient in Gyno-Daktarin: Miconazole nitrate 2%
The other ingredients include: Purified water, PEG-6, PEG-32, glycol stearate, oleoyl macro glycerides, liquid paraffin, benzoic acid (E210) and butylated hydroxyanisole (E320).
Gyno-Daktarin side effects
Like other medications, Gyno-Daktarin may cause some people to experience side effects. If you develop any signs of severe allergic reaction you must stop using this treatment immediately and get medical advice.
The most common side effects include:
- Irritation, itching or burning around the vagina
- Stomach or pelvic pain
- Urine infection
- Vaginal bleeding
If you experience any of the mentioned side effects you should stop using this treatment. If your symptoms do not improve or you are worried about any side effects you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice. Please read the Patient Information Leaflet before use.
- You should not use Gyno-Daktarin cream if you are allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients.
- Gyno-Daktarin cream may damage latex. If you are using latex condoms or a diaphragm as your main method of contraception you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using this cream to discuss your contraception options. Alternatively, you should refrain from sexual activity while using this treatment to avoid pregnancy.
- You should speak to a doctor or pharmacist before using Gyno-Daktarin cream if you have recently been using or are currently using any other prescribed or non-prescribed medication, this includes anticoagulants and antiepileptics.
Gyno-Daktarin in pregnancy & breastfeeding
You should speak to a doctor or pharmacist before use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding they will be able to advise you whether you should use this treatment.