- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
Gaviscon Double Action Indigestion Relief
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets provide fast-acting relief against symptoms of gastro-oesophageal reflux. Neutralising stomach acid and creating a protective film over the stomach lining to provide instant relief from pain and discomfort in your abdomen and chest.
When you buy your treatment online from The Independent Pharmacy you get convenient, timely delivery straight to your door.
Gaviscon Double Action Sachets Information
What are Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets?
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachet are a powerful, effective treatment for symptoms of heartburn and indigestion caused by excess acid and reflux. Each sachet contains two antacids (calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate) and an alginate that work in unison to relieve pain and discomfort by neutralising the stomach acid and protecting the stomach lining from irritation.
These sachets are manufactured by Reckitt Benckiser and contain 10 ml of an appetising mint flavour liquid. Gaviscon Double Action Sachets are suitable for children and adults over the age of 12 years and are most effective when taken after meals or before bed.
What are Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets used for?
Excess stomach acid and acid reflux, although, not often serious, can cause you to feel significant pain and discomfort in your abdomen and chest. Heartburn and indigestion are the most common conditions caused either by acid travelling back up the oesophagus or due to excess acid irritating the stomach lining.
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets offer effective relief from symptoms of heartburn and indigestion. These small, discreet sachets are designed to be taken after meals. They can be easily carried in a handbag or pocket allowing you to be prepared, even when eating out.
How do Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets work?
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets contain 3 active ingredients to help control excess stomach acid and provide a protective barrier over the stomach lining to prevent reflux, ease pain and soothe discomfort.
Each sachet contains 2 antacids, which are alkalis, they work by:
- Counteracting the acidity of the gastric juices, neutralising the pH
The sachets also contain an ingredient called alginate that works by creating a gel film over the top of the gastric fluid, which:
- Protects the stomach
- Prevents the juices from backing up into the oesophagus
How quickly do Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets?
Most people will feel relief almost instantly after swallowing Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets. For best results they should be taken after each meal or before you go to bed, up to 4 times a day.
If you do not notice an improvement in your pain and discomfort when taking these sachets for 7 days you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for further advice.
Alternatives to Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets are an over the counter, combined antacid/alginate treatment for symptoms of heartburn and indigestion. Our most commonly used over the counter alternatives to these sachets include:
- Zantac 75 Tablets - contains 75 mg of Ranitidine, which reduces the amount of stomach acid your body makes.
- Pepto-Bismol Liquid - contains bismuth subsalicylate, a mild antacid, that can also help relieve nausea, vomiting or diarrhoea.
- Gaviscon Double Action Tablets - a combined antacid/alginate treatment to neutralise acid and protect the stomach.
There are also lifestyle changes that you can make that may also help prevent and relieve symptoms of excess acid and reflux. These include:
- Eat small meals, regularly
- Sleep with your head and shoulders propped up on pillows while in bed.
- If you are overweight it is recommended that you try to lose weight.
- Cut down on caffeinated, fizzy or acidic drinks as well as alcohol.
If you have tried an over the counter acid reflux treatment and have made some lifestyle changes and are continuing to suffer from heartburn or indigestion you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice about prescription-strength options.
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets dosage
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets are for oral use by children, adults and the elderly over 12 years old. If your symptoms persist after 7 days you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for further advice.
Take 1 - 2 sachets after meals and before bedtime, up to 4 times a day.
You should take the time to read the Patient Information Leaflet thoroughly before use.
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets ingredients
Each 10 ml sachets includes the active ingredients: 500 mg of sodium alginate, 213 mg of sodium bicarbonate and 325 mg of calcium carbonate.
The other ingredients include: sodium, carbomer, methyl (E218) and propyl (E216) parahydroxybenzoates, sodium saccharin, peppermint flavour, sodium hydroxide, and water.
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets side effects
In very rare circumstances these sachets can cause an allergic reaction. If you experience a severe allergic reaction you should stop taking this medication and speak to a doctor immediately. Symptoms of an allergic reaction include:
- Skin rash and itching
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the face, tongue or throat.
Other reported side effects include:
- Muscle twitching or muscle cramps
- High levels of calcium in the blood
If you are worried about any side effects you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist. Please read the Patient Information Leaflet before use.
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets warnings
- Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets contain both calcium and sodium. If you have been advised to follow a diet that restricts these components do not take this medicine. Speak to a doctor if you have severe kidney or heart disease.
- Speak to a doctor before using these sachets if you have been told you have a reduced amount of gastric fluid.
- Do not take any other medication by mouth within 2 hours of taking these sachets as this can alter how other medicines work.
Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Sachets in pregnancy & breastfeeding
These sachets are safe for use during pregnancy and while breastfeeding, however, as with other medicines, they should only be used when absolutely necessary.