- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
About Optrex Hay Fever Relief Eye Drops
Optrex Hay Fever Relief Eye Drops information
What are Optrex Hay Fever Relief Drops and what are they used for?
Optrex Hay Fever Eye Drops are formulated to soothe and relieve symptoms of hay fever such as itching, redness, soreness and watering. The drops use the active ingredient Sodium Cromoglicate, an antihistamine, to work fast to reduce the allergy symptoms. The eyedrops can be taken in conjunction with oral antihistamines.
How do Optrex Hay Fever Relief Drops work?
The eye contains a group of cells called mast cells. These cells are responsible for the eye’s immune response to foreign particles. Mast cells react to invading allergens by releasing a substance called histamine. As a result, the eyes become watery and inflamed. Sodium cromoglycate has a stabilising effect on these mast cells; it inhibits the release of histamine and prevents inflammation.
Alternative Treatments to Optrex Hay Fever Relief Drops
There are some non-medicinal methods to help combat hay fever symptoms. Some of these may include:
- Wear wrap-around sunglasses.
- Keep windows closed when it is a day with a high pollen count.
- Try to have a shower after a day almost straight away. This will remove any trapped pollen grains from your hair and or skin.
There is an extremely large range of over the counter treatments for allergy symptoms that you can purchase online from The Independent Pharmacy, these vary from tablets and liquids including Cetirizine, Loratadine and Piriton and nasal sprays including Pirinase and Benacort. If you have tried non-prescription treatments and these have not been effective you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for further advice.
How to use Optrex Hayfever Relief Drops
Adults and children over the age of 6 years:
- Wash your hands thoroughly before use.
- Tilt your head back and hold one eye open.
- Place 1 or 2 drops in each eye, up to 4 times per day.
Avoid touching the tip of the eyedropper to your eye or any other surface. If you struggle with this, you can try resting your hand on the side of your face and placing the drop in the side of your eye.
If your symptoms have not improved within 2 days you should speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice.
Optrex Hayfever Relief Drops ingredients:
Active Ingredients: 1ml of eye drops contains 20 mg of Sodium Cromohlicate (2.0% w/v).
Also contains: benzalkonium chloride, disodium edetate, water for injections.
Optrex Hayfever Relief Eye Drops side effects
Not everyone will experience side effects when they use Optrex eye drops. However, if you do, they can include:
- Stinging in the eyes or blurred vision. This should go away a few moments after using the drops.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Optrex Hayfever Relief Drops warnings
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
- You will not be able to continue wearing soft contact lenses while using Optrex Hayfever Relief Drops.
- Not for use in children under the age of 6 years.
- Speak to a doctor or pharmacist for advice if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medication may cause you to experience temporary blurred vision. Do not drive or operate machinery until you can see clearly.
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
Optrex Hay Fever Relief Eye Drops FAQs
- Keep windows closed in your house or car
- Clean your pets and clothes after they have been outside
- Avoid irritants such as cigarette smoke
- Avoid grassy areas
- Wear protection such as sunglasses when you need to be outside
- Vacuum and dust your house regularly