- Free delivery over £40
- 100% UK-based pharmacy
- Free advice and support
- We're rated 4.9 out of 5
Otrivine Allergy Relief Nasal Spray information
What is Otrivine Allergy Relief Spray?
Otrivine Allergy Relief 0.1% Spray is a nasal treatment formulated to relieve blocked nose symptoms caused by hayfever, allergies, and more. The spray is applied directly to the nostrils to effectively relieve blockages and reduce blood vessels back down to their normal size, minimising congestion in adults and children over 12 years of age.
What is Otrivine Allergy Relief Spray used for?
Allergies can strike at any time, but summer is a particularly troublesome time. Pollen levels are much higher, which causes uncomfortable symptoms such as a blocked nose in those who suffer from hay fever. Otrivine spray offers allergy relief by clearing congestion caused by a range of allergies, in addition to colds, recurring inflammation, and sinusitis.
What causes a blocked nose?
It’s often assumed that nasal congestion is caused by excessive mucus, but that’s not the case. It’s actually a result of inflamed blood vessels, which become irritated by environmental factors such as allergies or viruses like a cold or flu.
How long does nasal congestion last?
Depending on the cause of your congestion your symptoms shouldn’t last too long, especially while using a nasal spray to help unblock your nose. If you suffer from hayfever, you are likely to experience congestion on and off throughout the summer alongside other symptoms which can be managed. However, if it starts to affect your daily activities then it is recommended to see a doctor and seek appropriate treatment.
How does Otrivine Allergy Relief Spray relieve allergy symptoms?
Otrivine allergy spray contains the active ingredient xylometazoline hydrochloride. This works by opening up the nasal passages, clearing excessive nasal secretions and reducing the size of inflamed blood vessels (a main cause of blockages) so nasal congestion can pass.
How quickly does Otrivine Allergy Relief Spray work?
You may start feeling the effects of the nasal spray in as little as 2 minutes. The active ingredient xylometazoline hydrochloride will start working on your symptoms and provide long-lasting relief for up to 10 hours. If needed, the spray can be used up to 3 times a day.
Alternatives to Otrivine Allergy Relief Spray
If you are suffering my allergies such as hay fever, alternative sprays such as Avamys Nasal Spray, Beclometasone Nasal Spray or Benacort Hay Fever Nasal Spray can help with other nasal symptoms including a runny nose, sneezing and itching, as well as nasal blockages.
For allergies other than hay fever, such as dust and animal allergies, allergy treatments like oral antihistamines can minimise symptoms other than a blocked nose so reactions are more manageable.
How to use Otrivine Allergy Spray
Otrivine allergy relief is very simple to use. Always follow the preparation and usage instructions as found on the enclosed leaflet or instructed by your GP to safely relieve nasal congestion.
- Do not cut the nozzle as the spray contains a pre-set metered dose.
- Blow your nose to remove excessive nasal secretions.
- Remove the protective cap from the nozzle.
- Before use, activate the pump by pumping 4 times. It should remain charged throughout the day, but if you have more than 7 days break between use the pump will need to be re-primed.
- Hold the bottle upright with your thumb under the base and the nozzle between two fingers.
- Insert the nozzle into the nostril.
- Depress the pump and sniff at the same time. Use one pump in each nostril.
- Do not blow your nose for the first few minutes after application.
- Clean and dry the nozzle before replacing the cap right after use.
What are the possible side effects of Otrivine Allergy Relief Spray?
Like all medications, there is a risk of possible side effects for some users of the Otrivine nasal spray.
Side effects may include:
- Serious allergic reactions including difficulty breathing or swallowing.
- Swelling of the face, lips, tongue or throat.
- Severe itching of the skin or red bumps.
- Nasal dryness, discomfort or irritation.
If you experience any of the following side effects you should speak to your GP, pharmacist or another medical professional for advice.
Otrivine Allergy Spray ingredients
This spray contains the active ingredient xylometazoline hydrochloride (0.1% w/v) which reduces swollen blood vessels and excess mucus. Other ingredients include benzalkonium chloride, sodium phosphate, disodium edetate, sodium acid phosphate, sodium chloride, sorbitol, hypromellose and purified water.
Allergy nasal spray warnings
It’s important to use medications that are safe and suitable for your needs. In this case, Otrivine Allergy Relief 0.1% Nasal Spray should not be used if the following applies:
- You are allergic to the active ingredient xylometazoline hydrochloride.
- You have chronic nasal inflammation with very dry nasal passages (rhinitis sicca or atrophic rhinitis).
- You suffer from an enlarged prostate gland.
- You are recovering from neurosurgery.
- You are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) or have stopped taking them in the last 14 days.
Alternative treatment should be used to help with allergy relief and blocked nose symptoms.
Can you use Otrivine Allergy Relief Spray while pregnant or breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s best to consult your doctor before using this nasal spray, although the treatment is usually safe.