Imigran Nasal Spray provides effective relief from the symptoms of a migraine. It contains the active ingredient sumatriptan, which is one of the several types of 'triptan' medicine, and the most widely used. It is a popular alternative to other triptans for those who cannot swallow tablets or otherwise prefer not to do so. Imigran Nasal Spray comes as single use sprays in strengths of 10mg or 20mg.
It is not fully understood what causes the onset of a migraine. However, the throbbing pain experienced is thought to occur due to a widening (dilation) of the blood vessels in the brain. Sumatriptan is a serotonin agonist. Serotonin agonists mimic the activity of serotonin by stimulating specific receptors in the brain. This causes the affected blood vessels to narrow, which eases the throbbing and relieves the associated pain.
Imigran Nasal Spray is most effective when used at the start of a migraine attack. However, this treatment will still provide a level of relief if taken later on during an episode. It is applied to one nostril, and should take effect in about 30 minutes. Triptans medicines do not prevent migraines from occurring, but they are safe to take alongside preventative medicines, such as propranolol.
In The UK, migraines are a common complaint. This severe form of headache affects approximately 25% of women and around 8% of men. Migraines can be triggered by various factors, though genetics is believed to play a role. This means you are more likely to develop migraines if someone in your close family also suffers from the condition. Migraine attacks can be debilitating, a severe episode can completely disrupt your day, causing nausea, along with an intense throbbing pain. Many people also experience a heightened intolerance to noise, light, and smells. Imigran nasal spray will help provide relief from these symptoms as well.
Around one in every four people who suffer from migraine experience a preceding warning sign, known as an aura. An aura could be in the form of a visual cue, such as distorted or blurred vision. If the aura is experienced and a migraine doesn't follow, this is referred to as a silent migraine.
Migraine attacks generally last for a few hours, but can continue for as long as three days. After a severe migraine has subsided, the sufferer can remain feeling fatigued for several subsequent days.
There are a number of things that may trigger a migraine attack. This includes:
- A poor diet
- Too much caffeine
- A lack of sleep
- For some women, migraine attacks can be triggered by their monthly cycle.
Why choose The Independent Pharmacy?
- Fast delivery - order before 4pm and receive your treatment as soon as the next day.
- Free online consultation service with one of our GMC registered doctors.
- Discreet and confidential service - we don't include any branding or pharmacy logo on our packaging, meaning you can get your treatment delivered discreetly.
- UK based and GMC registered Doctors.
- Only proven prescription medication available.
- Approved by the National Pharmacy Association and Care Quality Commission.
Imigran Nasal Spray is most effective if taken at the start of a migraine attack, but will also provide relief if taken later on during the episode.
Spray 10-20mg into one nostril. If the medicine is ineffective, wait at least two hours before taking the second dose.
How to use an Imigran Nasal Spray
Imigran Nasal Sprays come in individual blister packs. Do not open a blister until you are ready to use the spray. Blow your nose before use if it feels blocked.
Hold the spray with your index and middle fingers each side on the nozzle and your thumb resting on the blue plunger.
Insert the nozzle into one nostril (about 1cm or 1/2 inch in) and block the other using a finger by pressing firmly on the side of your nose.
Start to breathe in gently through your nose and out through your mouth.
As you breath in, press the blue plunger firmly with your thumb, keep breathing in whilst it is spraying.
Remove the spray and unblock your other nostril.
Keep breathing in gently through your nose and out through your mouth for 10 seconds. Your nose may feel wet and you may detect a slight taste after using the spray - this is normal.
Discard the used spray.
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take Imigran Nasal Spray. However, if you do, they can include:
Pressure or tightness in the chest or throat, tingling sensations, irritation of the nose or throat, nosebleed, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, hot flushes, aches, shortness of breath.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
Imigran Nasal Spray is unsuitable for you if:
- You have had a heart attack or stroke
- You have pre-existing circulation problems
- You have high blood pressure
- You have liver disease
- You are taking monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) antidepressants
- You are taking other 'triptan' medicines – leave at least 24 hours in between taking sumatriptan and any other 'triptan'
- You are taking other migraine treatments (e.g. ergotamine or its derivatives, methysergide)
Consult your GP if you:
- Are at high risk of heart disease (e.g. you smoke, have high blood pressure, are diabetic)
- Have a history of epilepsy
- Feel tightness in your chest after using Imigran Nasal Spray
You should also talk to your doctor if you are taking any of the following other medicines:
- Selective serotonin-reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) or serotonin noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor (SNRI) antidepressants
- St. John's wort
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
The active ingredient contained in Imigran Nasal Spray is sumatriptan.
Imigran Nasal Spray also contains the following inactive ingredients to make up the complete product:
Potassium dihydrogen phosphate, dibasic sodium phosphate anhydrous, sulphuric acid, sodium hydroxide, purified water.