Day & Night Nurse Capsules provide 24 hour relief from colds and flu and the associated symptoms such as a tickly, irritating cough, aches and pains, shivering, blocked or runny nose, sore throats and headache.
With three active ingredients in the night capsules: paracetamol, promethazine and dextromethorphan, and three in the day capsules: paracetamol, pseudoephedrine and pholcodine, this product will help you sleep AND help you get through the day.
Day & night nurse is a combination pack containing two types of capsules. The orange and yellow day nurse capsules contain three active ingredients, paracetamol, pseudoephedrine and pholcodine. The green and white night nurse capsules also contain three active ingredients, paracetamol, promethazine and dextromethorphan.
The paracetamol in both capsules is a painkiller that can relieve mild to moderate aches and pains associated with colds and flu. Paracetamol also works to bring down a fever and this stops you feeling hot or shivery.
The pseudoephedrine in the day nurse capsules is a type of medicine called a decongestant. It relieves a blocked nose by causing the blood vessels in the linings of the nasal passages and sinuses to contract and narrow. This reduces the feeling of congestion and the production of mucus.
The pholcodine in the day nurse capsules and the dextromethorphan in the night nurse capsules are both cough suppressant medicines, used to stop a dry, tickly, unproductive cough (where you don't cough up phlegm). They work by reducing the nerve signals sent from a part of the brain called the coughing centre, to the muscles that produce coughing. This helps stop an annoying or painful cough.
The promethazine in the night nurse capsules is a sedating antihistamine that dries nasal secretions through its antihistamine action. This can help reduce a runny nose and relieve coughs caused by mucus tickling the back of the throat. Night nurse also has its mild sedative effect thanks to the promethazine.
Remember to maintain regular body temperature and rest to recover properly. Olbas Oil, Vicks Inhaler or Vicks Vapour Rub can be used for a restful night sleep if extra congestion relief is needed.
Each packet of Day & Night Nurse Capsules contains a combination of two different types of capsules, those for use during the day which are non-drowsy and those for use during the night that will help you get some rest and wake up feeling refreshed.
The Day Nurse capsules help to relieve aches, pains and fever and are formulated to help you get through the day, while the Night Nurse capsules help to relieve aches, pains and fever associated with colds and flu, they have a mild sedative effect and this, together with the relief from cold and flu symptoms, can help you to get a restful nights sleep.
All in one treatment for colds and flu that contains paracetamol. Do not take any other paracetamol-containing product at the same time at this medication. If extra pain relief is needed, ibuprofen or aspirin based products are recommended.
- Day & Night nurse is only suitable for adults and adolescents aged 12 years and over.
- Two Day Nurse capsules should be taken every four hours during the day, up to a maximum of three doses (six capsules) in a day.
- Two Night Nurse capsules should be taken just before going to bed at night. You must leave at least four hours after taking your last dose of day capsules before taking the night capsules.
- Do not take more capsules than this - see warnings below.
- The capsules should be swallowed with a drink of water. They can be taken either with or without food.
- Do not use for longer than three days without getting medical advice from your doctor or pharmacist.
Not everyone will experience side effects when they take Day and Night Nurse Capsules, however if you do they can include:
Drowsiness, dizziness, blurred vision, nervousness, hallucinations (particularly in children) have been reported rarely, difficulty concentrating, unsteadiness, clumsiness, headache, dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, ringing in the ears, irritability, sleep disturbance, loss of appetite, difficulty passing urine, skin rashes, rapid heart rate and shaking.
If you are concerned about these effects, or if the product affects you in any other way, stop using it and talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
Reading the following warnings carefully will help to ensure you are selecting an appropriate product.
Do not take Day and Night Nurse capsules;
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients in this medicine.
- If you have high blood pressure or heart disease
- If you have kidney problems or hyperexcitability
- If you have a chest infection, worsening asthma or severe respiratory problems
- If you are taking appetite suppressants or stimulant drugs called amphetamines (sometimes to treat ADHD)
- If you have taken monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) prescribed for depression in the last two weeks.
- If you are having a pregnancy test carried out on your urine.
- Do not take any other paracetamol-containing products. Do not take with any other flu, cold or decongestant product.
- Do not drink alcohol while using Day and Night nurse capsules.
- If your symptoms are accompanied by a high temperature, skin rash or persistent headache, see your Doctor.
- The orange/yellow (day-time) capsules may cause dizziness. If affected do not drive or operate machinery.
- The grren/white (night-time) capsules may cause drowsiness, dizziness, difficulty concentrating, movement difficulties or blurred vision.. this can affect your ability to drive.
- Do not drive while taking this medicine until you know how it affects you.
It may be an offence to drive while taking this medicine.
However, you would not be commiting an offence if the medicine has been taken to treat a medical or dental problem, and you have taken it according to the information provided with the medicine., and it was not affecting your ability to drive safely.
Ask your Doctor before taking this medicine;
- If you have been told by your Doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars
- If you have an overactive thyroid gland, diabetes, an irregular heartbeat, phaeocromocytoma (tumour of the adrenal gland) or liver problems
- If you have glaucoma, epilepsy, difficulty pssing urine, or prostate problems
- If you have asthma, long term cough or a cough which produces a lot of phlegm
- If you are due to have an operation
- If you are elderly and suffer from confusion.
Please talk to your Doctor or Pharmacist before taking these capsules if you are taking any prescribed medicines, particularly digoxin (for heart problems), metoclopramide or domperidone (for nausea or vomiting), colestyramine (to lower blood cholesterol), medicines for high blood pressure, medicines which give you blurred vision, a dry mouth or make you drowsy, blood thinning drugs (anticoagulants e.g. warfarin) quinidine or amiodarone (to control your heart rhythm) medicines for anxiety or depression (e.g. selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) or tricyclic antidepressant) or to help you sleep.
Please read all packaging and the Product Information Leaflet before taking any new medicine and inform your doctor of medicines you are taking or intend to take.
The active ingredients contained in Day and Night Nurse capsules are:
Day Nurse capsules
Paracetamol 500mg, Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride 30mg and Pholcodine 5mg.
Night Nurse capsules
Paracetamol 500mg, Promethazine Hydrochloride 10mg and Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 7.5mg
Day and Night Nurse also contains the following inactive ingredients to make up the complete product:
Day Nurse capsules
Sodium starch glycollate, magnesium stearate (E572), sodium lauryl sulphate, gelatin and colours quinolone yellow (E104), allura red (E129), titanium dioxide (E171) and printing ink opacode black (containing shellac (E904), iron oxide (E172) and propylene glycol)
Allura red is an azo dye and may cause allergic reactions
Night Nurse capsules
Lactose, dimeticone, colloidal anhydrous silica, gelatin and colours patent blue V (E131), quinolone yellow (E104), titaniumdioxide (E171) and printing ink (containing shellac, isopropyl alcohol, iron oxide black (E172), propylene glycol (E1520), Ammonium hydroxide (E527) abd n-butyl alcohol)